Key Largo diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CoolCanuck

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi there,

I have an opportunity to dive in the Key Largo area in the first week of February. It will be my 4th dive in warm, blue ocean water :D. I live in Ottawa and regularly dive in the St. Lawrence River from May to November.

I can do up to 4 dives (2 daytime dives x 2 days) while I am there and I definitely want to take pictures of "beasties", coral, wrecks. I was thinking of hiring a DM to be my buddy as the idea of an insta-buddy is a no-go. Can anyone recommend a dive shop in that area (with wetsuit rental) and give me some ideas for cool things to see? I would like to bring most of my own equipment (baggage allowing) although I will be sad to contaminate it :wink: with that nasty salt water.

I have dove both with Conch republic and FL keys dive center and I was much more happy with Conch Republic. The staff helped me tune up a regulator that was free flowing and the dive master was extremely friendly and gave a lot of one on one advice when I was just starting out. The FKDC on the other hand had a packed boat and the staff were much less patient and did not seem to want to help. Orders were barked at us and no one on the boat seemed happy until they were in the water. I went to the Duwayne, Eagle, Davies Crocker, Davis Ledge and a few other sites that I cannot remember off the top of my head. All of them were great dives but the deeper wrecks had a ripping current when I was there but I was told that it was not typical.

I don't think that it is possible to be miserable in the keys though so I am sure wherever you go and whichever shop you go with, you will enjoy yourself.

Ripping current on deep wrecks is not atypical. Some days calm. Some days not.

Most of the dive ops will let you rent a DM. I did it with Horizon for a deep dive. Dive a lot with Ocean Divers but I don't rent a DM. Keys dives mostly come in two flavors. Reef or deep wreck. A few drift dives on the outer edge of the reef but they are special and not the usual charter.

We live in Key Largo. The ocean is NOT warm, but it is blue.

I live in NC. I dive out of Key Largo in Feb and March. The water is blue. I think the water is warm, at least comfortable in a medium wet suit. The FL divers on the boat complain. I enjoy the diving anyway. 70 degrees is comfy when compared to 48.

I live in NC. I dive out of Key Largo in Feb and March. The water is blue. I think the water is warm, at least comfortable in a medium wet suit. The FL divers on the boat complain. I enjoy the diving anyway. 70 degrees is comfy when compared to 48.

I hear you on that. The St. Lawrence where I live has gone all the way up to 75F during a blistering summer but 65F is more common. A quarry where I also dive has two thermoclines from 65 to 55 to 39 (eek!). I am looking forward to the warm(er) diving! No need to bring a dry suit.:yeahbaby:

I have dived with Rainbow Reef when in Key Largo.
They are a professional operation and all of their dives have a guide in the water. That can allay some fear about an insta-buddy and navigation on an unfamiliar reef.

I dive on Key West with either a 3mm wetsuit but usually just go skin if the water temp is above 74F . I have less issues with feeling cold than most though. I find the temperature pleasant in that area.

Wife and I used Sea Dwellers: Sea Dwellers Dive Center of Key Largo - Florida Keys PADI I was pleased with them. They have package with Holiday Inn to stay at. If you stay at Holiday Inn its a very short walk to boat with your gear. We hired guide as our navigating skills isn't that great yet.

Booking is easy. You call Sea Dwellers and tell them the dates you want and give a CC for deposit and they give you room conformation number that's it. You don't have to call hotel or anything. We showed up and checked in at hotel then went and paid at Sea Dwellers for whole trip. Sea Dwellers paid the hotel.

I have dived with Rainbow Reef when in Key Largo.
They are a professional operation and all of their dives have a guide in the water. That can allay some fear about an insta-buddy and navigation on an unfamiliar reef.

I'll second this. Rainbow Reef is a good outfit. I also usually dive there in a 3mm. Enjoy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom