Why not help someone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bear Yates

Registered
Reaction score
Every day there is someone who's getting the thought in their head that they want to dive. It's just a fact. And every day some of those people are going to a dive shop somewhere to ask questions. And sometimes these people have absolutely no idea about anything to do with diving when they walk through the door. Before July 2014 I was one of those people. I'd never been diving in my life. The only way I'd ever been under the surface was to put on a regular swimming goggles or a mask and snorkel. After a career as a Soldier, yeah, one of those guys who stayed on dry land, I decided I wanted to get into diving. Fortunately I got lucky. The first time I walked into a dive shop they weren't even open and I wasn't even looking at actually diving at the time, I just needed a new mask and snorkel because someone had stolen mine. But one of the owners was there and was very helpful, even with being closed. We talked for awhile about diving and some other things and I found out allot just from that first interaction. I learned that there was a great way not only for me to get into diving, but to make a new career out of it. I went back a few times and talked to both of the owners and got more information about all. They helped me get everything that I needed together, from the medical forms I needed to helping me find information on the industry for possible jobs after I finish training. Now here I am, I have a few certifications under my belt and I'm working toward a goal. Did I mention I'm a Veteran with PTSD? Did I mention that learning to dive and being around great people since I started has personally helped me? Now that I have, let me ask you this. Do you remember when you were the "new guy or girl" that didn't know anything about diving? Most people will probably say no because they think they're at a point where it doesn't matter to them anymore. But I'll never forget being the new guy. And I'll never forget the people who have helped and continue to help me. Because that's my end goal, to help others. I also won't forget the people along the way who think they're better than me because I don't know everything they know. I'll never know everything, nobody will, but I'll at least help someone who knows less than me find the answer. Because as a professional that's what I'm supposed to do, and as a teacher I believe in passing on knowledge, and as a person I have morals that I live by. I don't really care if people like me or not, got over that a long time ago. What I do care about is people doing what they love to do or what they have to do in some cases, and going home to their families safe at night, or when they get home from whatever job they had to do. If you took the time to read this, feel free to share your thoughts if you want. You may agree with me, you may not, you may be one of those people who thinks you're just Life's gift to all mankind. Just remember this, nobody had done something always. Everyone is new to something at some point and has to learn.

First thoughts, big bold blue text is hard on the eyes!

Second thought, no sure if it was Thomas or Josh that you talked to first, but you are very lucky that you are in the triangle. These two are the new kids on the block, but they have quickly gained the respect of many well known tech divers in the area and while there is still a bit of the recreational diving stuff lingering, the fact that they are catering as much to the tech divers and those that want to actually be REAL divers is huge and unfortunately missing from most of the shops in that area. The mentors within 30 minutes of you are able to teach you how to make your own regulator from a block of brass, build a rebreather from parts at Home Depot, dive inside of a cave, and treat people with DCS in a chamber. Very few places in the world are able to offer that much and the guys that are up there are incredible to dive with, but also to have a day doing nothing but tumbling a boat load of tanks and rebuilding regulators while drinking beer and grilling burgers. Leaving the diving community in Raleigh was something I never wanted to do, but is the reason I trek back to worth the university divers up there every chance I get because nothing in diving is as important as finding a good mentor, glad you found yours.

Last edited:
New divers only get a bad rap from people who want to make themselves feel and appear to be superior to others. After 44 years of diving, 10 as a commercial diver, I do not know it all either. Most of what I do know comes from the US Navy and they do not know it all, that is why they are constantly doing research and testing. The only divers I have ever talked to who are sure that they know everything have all come from the sport diving group. I would much rather dive with someone new then a diver who thinks they know it all.

I hope I never forget the kindness and generosity of the people who helped me -- from the divemasters who did the "remedial training" in the pool, to the fine local folks who dove with a new diver whose skills were, well, woeful. Because my husband instructors, I fairly regularly have the opportunity to work with new or novice divers, and I enjoy it, and often see myself in them. I think it's a great quality in instructional staff.

while there is still a bit of the recreational diving stuff lingering, the fact that they are catering as much to the tech divers that want to actually be REAL divers is huge and unfortunately missing from most of the shops in that area.

Tbone. His comments did not require you insulting everybody who is not interested in tech diving and is therefore not a "real diver". Not need to look down on divers who make different choices then you do. That is one of the problems being discussed in other threads.

your diving decisions are up to you, and your diving certainly has broken apart from the normal recreational stuff Steve. You and Al are perfect examples of guys that are perfectly happy as "recreational divers" but are far from the norm in the mental game which is what matters

Real divers has nothing to do with tech vs. rec, or gear configuration or anything like that, it has to do with the mentality of diving and divers. It is about going from surviving an underwater experience, to being a scuba diver. You are a real diver, you are a passionate about what you do and everything you do is a conscious decision based on research, whether that stems from you being a professor or just your way of going about life is irrelevant. You don't survive underwater experiences, you carefully plan an execute dive plans. That takes you out of the pool of morons that blindly listen to guys selling gear to them with no interest in selling them the best, just what puts the most money in their pocket.

The part that I was referring to was the "come in, give me $400 and we'll give you a C-card, oh but now you have to come back and get nitrox, another $200 please. Oh here, these $200 split fins are the best thing out there" six months later, oh you want to do intro to tec, sorry can't use those fins, give me another $150 for these fins that you should have just bought in the first place. Oh, you want a set of replacement wrist seals for your drysuit, you need to take the PADI drysuit specialty because you aren't certified to dive in a drysuit, yes I got that from one of the shops in the area a few years ago... That individual is no longer employed there, thank God.

Some aspect of the classes is required to stay in business, but it was always such a turnoff for me every time I went into DU and was being pushed for stuff that I already had, Gypsy is a little bit less pushy, but was still always trying to be "upsold" on something every time I went in there. I go out of my way to help every diver that comes and asks for help or for my opinion, my gear opinion is obviously different from yours, but while that thread was discussing the more rare in my experience event of a tech diver pushing a recreational guy away, most of the time when we show up with 10 year old backplates that have been to hell and back, jet fins, whatever else, we get told that it's dated and we should check out the latest and greatest thing out there because it's better than what we are doing. Finding a shop that you can walk into and say, I need a rebuild kit for my inflator, and not being told "oh that's life support equipment, give me $50 for the annual service, you aren't qualified to fix it" is what pushes most of us off from most shops and why we send our business out of state. If we got "yeah that rebuild kit is $5, here ya go, we have the tool to remove the button if you need to borrow it, just bring it back asap since we only have one", that is what leads to guys that will return and recommend that shop to their buddies. I hope nothing more than Josh being able to get Air Hogs on the short list of shops that most guys recommend for online ordering, he's well on his way.

Bear I could not agree with you more. I personally love being the new guy. It never stops happening. Nothing is more fun than starting work with a new instructor who does something I do not, and taking the time to learn. That is what makes us better. There is excitement that comes with new knowledge and new adventures. Similarly, there is equal excitement that comes when yo get to pass that knowledge along. An example of this can be seen with me and learning cave diving protocols. Line-laying and line work is something that I have brought back into our local public safety community because it just made sense. I was able to take information new to me in one field, and then find relevance that I could pass on in another.

In my eyes there is no diver who isn't a newbie in some way. Whether it's a new exotic piece of kit to learn, or a new style of diving, our industry grows through education from beginning to end. That being said, one personal issue of mine is when the older generation refuses to accept the new generation. TDI published an article today with insight from various young people in our industry. They are people that I know, know of, or have gotten wet with in various instances. Their capabilities are impressive and I take the time to learn from them all even though half of the writers are younger than me.

As an instructor, my advice is to never lose the excitement that comes with being a newbie. Revel in the adventure and learn how to do things properly. That excitement is what will keep the scuba industry growing for future generations and cause the continued development of newer and safer equipment. But then again, that's just my two cents.

---------- Post added January 15th, 2015 at 02:54 PM ----------

Tom,

The reality of gear servicing comes down to education. It's difficult to question someone who knows enough to ask for the right items and can really talk the talk. The worry comes up with liability and the "business-safety" involved with selling parts kits to anyone who doesn't actually have the right service technician certification (agency or manufacturer). The truth of the matter is that the best plan is for customers to develop such a give and take relationship with a retail dive shop that the shop is willing to let a person take proper liability-based service classes in return for help and some real "shop affiliation." The reality is that the full-time diver who loves the sport and pushes to be better, wants to learn about the gear he or she dives and understanding how to service gear is a considerable and honestly necessary step in the educational pathway.

In regard to the idea of quick and expensive upgrades, dive shops make money on the regular $10 sale from that person who always comes in, is truly a friend, and has value vested in the success of the shop. The constant multi-hundred dollar upgrades are what push people away. We know, we used to be that unknowing customer. When we opened our business, we never wanted to be those guys out for the easy dollar who burned social bridges at every turn. That's why we have a true family of divers. It may not be the biggest in our region, but it is a very loyal one, and we would not have it any other way.

Bear Yates, Excellent post. I can honestly say I haven't forgotten what it's like to be a beginner. For one thing, I do know enough to know that there are a gazillion out there that know more than me. My diving is very simple rec. diving and will remain so. Another advantage is years of teaching Band, especially beginners that don't know one end of a trombone from the other. In classes I try to throw in little bits of info. for students that I have picked up along the way. You learn so much after OW course--stuff that just can't be mentioned with the timeline of class.

I really could not believe there are so many unscrupulous dm/instructors/dive operators around. Nothing has changed since I took up diving about 18yrs ago. What a shame!
Is the industry/trade unhealthy or just because of human greed?

I really could not believe there are so many unscrupulous dm/instructors/dive operators around. Nothing has changed since I took up diving about 18yrs ago. What a shame!
Is the industry/trade unhealthy or just because of human greed?
TBH I would put my money on greed. I have seen people who know far better than I unable to help newer divers because it will cost them something be it time or something along those lines. Many of those people forget where they came from and who took them under their wing to get them to where they are. All the while giving ditry looks to people who want to play in the shallows while someone learned buoyancy control in their first few drysuit dives/first dives. Since they are not yet part of the "cool" crowd who can do 60ft average dives for 45+min and god help you if the dive ends one second before then. There is an old saying "You cannot teach a person to be a teacher or a mentor your are born as one or you are not.". Many people I have found locally do not have the right to in a teaching position themselves. They are too unskilled/arrogant/self absorbed to fit into the teacher/mentor roles.

Back
Top Bottom