Looking for a Pony set up. Would this work? What would you recommend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maxpcf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Good afternoon everyone, hope you're all doing well.

I recently started diving and for peace of mind/safety I wanted to look into a pony setup. I was unimpressed with the price/capacity of SpareAir & the Zeagle all in one system and wanted your opinion on this setup I am considering purchasing.

40 cu Tank: 40 Cubic Foot Pony Bottle discounts on sale Catalina
33" Kevlar Hose: https://11main.com/scubachoice/33-k...essure-hose-for-gauge-spg-1st-stage/p/2774783
Regulator: https://11main.com/scubachoice/scub...&utm_term=_&utm_content=11_main&utm_campaign=[pla]-(sgf)&ref=DF4rcI_udU6GfakKSQwtHg&kpid=628210

First off, are all these components compatible?
Second off, would side mounting this on my main tank with straps work?
Lastly, general thoughts on the setup/components.

Thanks,
Max

You don't seem to have a 1st stage reg?

A 40 is pretty big, I use a 19 and it was complex to get trim to work.

I use an Reef Scuba X bracket on a separate tank strap, so I can get trim to work. I'm not sure that would work with a 40.
Pony Bottle Brackets from reefscuba.com The Pony Tamer and The X Bracket There are a bunch of brackets listed here, I'm talking about the one at the bottom of the page, the PT505-A

I think you might be a little ahead of yourself ( notice, I said "might", not intending insult, just things to think about as I don't know you at all). What is the diving that you are undertaking? How has "standard practices" or training not met your satisfaction? How does the pony fit in your diving/plan? How do you intend to carry it? What is your gear configuration? Where are you in regard to diving skills/task loading? Many more questions...

Thanks Kevin, could you possibly recommend me a decent first stage for this setup. (thought it came included with this tank).

The hose listed is a HP hose, which will not attach to your second stage. Do you own the rest of your dive gear? I agree that you seem to be getting ahead of yourself a little.

Max. I am a huge fan of ponies but I have to agree with the others. You need to do a lot more diving and research on ponies first. Why do you feel the need? What other gear do you own and maintain? This is a thread started by a fellow Stuart, Florida diver. You might find it helpful. Your local LDS is also a great resource.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ta...pony-what-size-how-mount-other-questions.html

I can't speak for Mr Chen but I would be very surprised if he wasn't willing to share his experience.

My reason for wanting one was that on too many dive trips I've ended up being "buddies" with either a macro-photographer (who never ever looks up) or a new diver who I can't really expect to help me. One day I walked into Divers Direct on vacation and saw their range of cylinders.

There are a few ways to determine how big a pony you need. Basically they amount to how fast do you breath normally, how much will this accelerate when you have a major issue that causes you to use your bailout (100% more is a common figure) and how deep are you when this happens. I didn't use any of these, but I should have. I just decided a 19 was as big as I could practically carry and I plan to do a direct ascent at a safe and reasonable rate if I need to use it.

I tried about 3 different ways to carry it before going to an x bracket, but there are other options, including slinging it or carrying it like a stage bottle.

I bought what was pretty much the lowest end decent regulator my LDS sold, but these days you might think about using an Edge EXP if your LDS doesn't have rental regs they are selling. Remember you are likely going to be breathing a LOT more then you do on a relaxed dive, so don't buy a reg that you wouldn't feel comfortable as a primary. Oh, and get at least a mini SPG for it too. Also note that you will need to get the reg serviced, and the pony VIS and hydro tested every so often, and flying is a pain.

agreed with all of the above. I highly recommend swinging down to Dive Gear Express in Pompano. Dive Shops are a dive a dozen in that part of Fl, but most are pretty awful and DGX is a wonderful shop. They will have all the gear that you could ever need and will really make sure you only get what you need and what will last. They do have multiple options for bony bottles, rigging methods, and regulators. It is worth the hour drive to get there, I promise you that

Why such a large pony? It will probably be too large to take to air travel destinations. Plus I know of at least one USA based live-a-board that restricts pony size to 30 cu ft.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom