Weighting question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steve_C

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My cold water wetsuit is a 7mm Henderson hyperstretch. I should note it seems to take a slight bit less weight than some 7mm I have rented but that could be a difference in BCDs also. I am getting a 1.5 full for warm tropicals (need to protect my bare skin from sun and critters). The thought came to me to use the 1.5 as an undergarment for the 7mm to get an extra layer for middle of winter quarry diving.

I am sure that I need to add a bit more weight. My guess is 2 lbs. Does that sound reasonable? Will do a real weight check at the end of the dive.

Note I am 5'8 and 180.

PS: will check it out but want a good starting point. MY current weighting of the 7mm is spot on with 300 psi in a steel HP100.

Steve I bet you'll be spot on once again with those 2 extra pounds. But you also know how it can be getting used to something new so it would likely be handy to carry a couple extra pounds down to the water's edge for that break in "get it right in your head" dive. Haha, that being said, I have a sneaking suspicion you knew that. It's good to see Raleigh people here. Hopefully we will see you at the quarry soon.

My cold water wetsuit is a 7mm Henderson hyperstretch. I should note it seems to take a slight bit less weight than some 7mm I have rented but that could be a difference in BCDs also. I am getting a 1.5 full for warm tropicals (need to protect my bare skin from sun and critters). The thought came to me to use the 1.5 as an undergarment for the 7mm to get an extra layer for middle of winter quarry diving.

I am sure that I need to add a bit more weight. My guess is 2 lbs. Does that sound reasonable? Will do a real weight check at the end of the dive.

Note I am 5'8 and 180.

PS: will check it out but want a good starting point. MY current weighting of the 7mm is spot on with 300 psi in a steel HP100.

Been doing that for quite awhile now not only for warmth but for ease of putting on and taking off the suit. I normally attach a few weights to my float when I think I may need more for a new configuration.

You could also ball up the suit put it in water and add weight until it sinks.

2lbs sounds about right. I occasionally throw on a 2 mil top under my 5 mil and I add a little 1 lb weight to my tail weight pouch.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom