Has anyone done Iceland?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am not talking about Silfra. I am talking about the other dives that they advertise like Westfjords and Strytan and other ocean dives. Are they worth going to Iceland for? I would like to go to Iceland anyway (diving or not) and would definitely dive Silfra but other dives? Are they worth the money?

---------- Post added January 20th, 2015 at 12:03 PM ----------

No one? I will be the first one then.

Only Silfra. Was worth it for the experience, a bit of a cattle drive but still worth it. My wife and I aren't really into dry diving and we were in Iceland to see the action topside so we didn't do any other dives. I heard great things about the West Fjords from others on the Silfra dive though. Iceland in and of itself is worth the trip. We spent 10 days camping throughout the country and it was amazing. In my opinion, Iceland is probably the most fun you can have dry, its and amazing country.

I would recommend dive.IS (DIVE.IS - Scuba Diving in Iceland - PADI 5 Star Dive Center Iceland) if you are looking for an operator while there (for Silfra and other sites). They are an excellent shop operating out of Reykjavik. Book ahead.

Dove Silfra Feb 2015, it was amazing to be able to touch the Americas with one hand and Euro-Asia with the other. Water was crystal clear, melted glacier water and 33 degrees. My husband and I were the only 2 paying divers, we had a DM with us. There was so much to see and do in the 5 short days we were there. We decided not to dive off the coast.

I did some research and it's definiteoly the most expensive diving I've ever seen (~$350 for 1 day two dives). I'm considering just doing it and checking off the drysuit/cold water diving off the list. Is it totally worth it though?

Silfra is on my list. I think Thingviller is supposed to be another good option as well. It's ridiculously expensive. I think I might go for a long weekend or something due to the price.

Last edited:
Has any one just rented tanks and gone diving by yourself in Iceland? 350 a day seems like a bit much even if it includes a dive guide and a ride.

Why not just fill a swimming pool with ice cubes. You'll experience basically the same thing,and save a lot of Krona.
Seriously...it sounds like an amazing location,but I understand the time & depth limitations are rather restrictive.

Although I didn't do the dry dive, I did do the dry snorkel (I was the only one in the grip with a cert). That definitely was a cattle herd. I did speak with a few divers who had just come out, they said it was amazing, definitely worth the price (fyi, everything is expensive in Iceland, i.e. a beer is about 10 bucks). It was one DM to 2 divers even I was there. Although there were at least three different companies there when I was there.

Vis the day I did it was about 100 meters even with overcast skies. Floating on top, you could see straight down to 25-30m no problem.

Hind sight being 20/20, I wish I did dive. Don't know when I'll get back to that amazing country, have a lot more of the world to see first.

What about other dive sites in Iceland? No one that I know ever did anything besides Silfra and Strytan.

I went with Dive.is and had a great time. We did Silfra, Hallvik (near Silfra in Thingvellir NP), and the Gardur Pier in Gardur.

Hallvik was similar to Silfra in that it was a crack in the lake, but longer. I enjoyed it but there isn't a whole lot of life in the lake.

Gardur is an ocean dive. It was interesting -- some different kinds of life like giant lumpsuckers that I'd never seen before. I think it all falls into the category of: If you're in Iceland, definitely try the diving. But it would be better to plan it as a part of a larger trip, not as a dive destination.

(In contrast, if you're still wondering about Browning Pass, BC, that's an epic cold-water diving destination!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom