What do you think about scuba swap meets?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Z Gear

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have never been to a scuba swap meet. The closest one to me is about 1 1/2 hours drive in June.

I was wondering if these swaps are pretty good or would it be a waste of time to drive all the way there.
If these swaps are good why aren't there more of them?

Not even sure what scuba swap meet entails........ I have heard of partners swap.......:D I am very happy with my gear, buddies and partner. I dont want to swap anything.

Hey Z Gear...never heard of a scuba swap meet, but sounds like something I might go to! Where is the one in June?

I have never been to a scuba swap meet. The closest one to me is about 1 1/2 hours drive in June.

I was wondering if these swaps are pretty good or would it be a waste of time to drive all the way there.

Depends on what you mean by "pretty good" really.

Assuming you mean "as a vendor" the answer is a firm "it depends" for the most part. Many of these events are social events primarily... not that that's a bad thing, as it just means lots of divers will be there.

There's an annual one here in NJ that's very popular. While there are some "swapping" attendees, many/most of the tables are shops, boats, etc. I would think direct sales of your scuba-related stuff would do well there, based on GoPro popularity and price points that are "cash-and-carry" appropriate for impulse buys. Especially anything under $50.

PS - do you plan to attend Beneath The Sea here in NJ? Logistics and cost associated with getting here and having a booth might be prohibitive, but based on your DEMA feedback I thing it's the type of consumer show you'd like to be at.

We call it a trade in trade up event. My shop holds them twice a year. People can consign used gear to the store, or trade it in on new models, or they can just bring stuff to trade with other divers. The shop sells or trades the used stuff they take in or consign. One nice thing is that there are techs there to check out equipment and make sure it works, and the pool is open for test drives. I think these are great events, at least the one at my shop in Lakewood.
DivemasterDennis

I.e. Gear swap … Never been to one for scuba gear but regularly go to a bi-yearly for climbing/skiing gear. They are as much social as anything else. I have mostly sold gear at them - rarely buying because of industry connections. My suggestion is that if you go, at least have some specific gear items in mind. Bring cash and haggle.

As for why there are not more ? Good question. Stores that sponsor swaps usually make it part of a yearly sale of some sort. That way of you do not find what you want at the swap you might find it at the store.

My suggestion would be to go, check it out, take your gear with you, and go for a dive afterwards (or at least do something in the area fun).

February 15, 2015, Tom's River High School.
New Jersey Scuba Flea Market:

Ocean Wreck Divers

I was there last year, it was a good time. Got to see all my dive buddies who don't dive during the winter. There were some great bargains there, a few DUI drysuits for only a couple of hundred dollars. Several scuba shops from the area bring their unsold, old inventory to get rid of at cheap prices. I was able to get a couple of speargun bands for $5, which was nice.

It seemed like there were a lot of non-divers and teenagers there trying to buy spearguns. A few tables of guys selling stainless steel hardware and other accessories.

Definitly worth the $5 admission, although I don't know if I"d fly in from San Diego for it.

BTW, I'm not affiliated with this and I don't sell anything there, I'm just sharing the info with whoever might be interested.

I agree with industrious95 and RJP- New Jersey Scuba Flea Market is a good place to socialize and pickup some good deals. I picked up a couple of reg bag & gear bags really chep last year, but not worth a flight from cross the country. Beneath the Seas is worth a flight-3 day event with plenty of workshops and seminars.

Hey Z Gear...never heard of a scuba swap meet, but sounds like something I might go to! Where is the one in June?[/QUOTE

It looks like this swap meet is held once a year. This is an older add, but I believe the swap meet to be held this June 2015 still needs to be posted.

http://cawreckdivers.org/Banquet/3rd Annual Scuba Swapmeet.pdf

---------- Post added January 20th, 2015 at 08:16 PM ----------

Depends on what you mean by "pretty good" really.

Assuming you mean "as a vendor" the answer is a firm "it depends" for the most part. Many of these events are social events primarily... not that that's a bad thing, as it just means lots of divers will be there.

There's an annual one here in NJ that's very popular. While there are some "swapping" attendees, many/most of the tables are shops, boats, etc. I would think direct sales of your scuba-related stuff would do well there, based on GoPro popularity and price points that are "cash-and-carry" appropriate for impulse buys. Especially anything under $50.

PS - do you plan to attend Beneath The Sea here in NJ? Logistics and cost associated with getting here and having a booth might be prohibitive, but based on your DEMA feedback I thing it's the type of consumer show you'd like to be at.

I am actually interested in going as a consumer. I wanted to see if I could score some tanks ( steel 100), if I get lucky maybe I can find a single large tusa split fin... Boy that would be lucky! I lost one recently on a night dive. I seem to have lost quite a few items recently perhaps I can recoup some of the loses by scoring a few good deals at the swap.

I am not attending beneath the sea show in NJ. this year, hopefully I can next year.

Frank G
www.zgearinc.com

Last edited:
There's a scuba swap here in the Greater Toronto Area each spring and it seems to always be a great success, and it's also a social event and they have some presentations, like GUE Project Baseline wreck surveying, etc. I've bought regs and pressure gauges there in the past. They have bins of Jetfins and other fins for $5 - $10 a pair. There are tonnes of great deals on a wide variety of gear/accessories, but you've got to go early for the good stuff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom