Just got nitrox certified :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Storker

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
close to a Hell which occasionally freezes over
# of dives
100 - 199
Not quite sure of why, though. My club's got a neat nitrox blender system, so I guess that's one reason. Also, I've passed the big 5-0, and folks keep telling me that nitrox is the way to go to reduce post-dive fatigue (yeah, I know the jury's still out and there's no conclusive evidence that it does. But it reduces saturation, and I'm pretty sure there's a correlation between saturation/multiple dives and wanting to hit the bunk at 7pm). I guess that's another reason. And besides, since I'm the safety officer in my club, it feels kinda necessary to be nitrox certified since I'm actually responsible for the blending system. Knowledge is one thing, certification is another. And since most of us don't know what we don't know, reading up on the subject by oneself carries a certain risk of having overlooked some important issue, so I guessed that getting the cert was sort of sensible.

Funny thing is, due to some mis-communication with the dive shop, I never got any message about picking up the book before the course started. So I (and my son, BTW) showed up totally, completely unprepared. Hadn't read a line in the nitrox manual. Oh well, let's try to take the knowledge review questions and try our hand at the exam. We were told that if we failed, we could drop by the store to try again after reading up. Well, that wasn't necessary. Score was 24/25, (for both of us), so we both passed comfortably.

Is it scary that it's completely feasible to pass the course without any cramming whatsoever?

Is it scary that it's completely feasible to pass the course without any cramming whatsoever?

For someone who's OW certified... not really. It's 4th grade math.

So... It might actually just say that you're a slight nerd.... :wink:

"Slight"?

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

If you OW certified, it should be no big deal to pass the NITROX test. Slightly different tables and depth limits...no big deal.

"Tables"? What are these tables you talk about, kemosabe?

The current PADI nitrox curriculum totally bypasses any tables. I had to order those separately to get at them.

I dive following my PDC, but I like to plan my dive with tables. Which means I'm still using my RDP if I'm planning a depth profile which is different from my usual handful of standard profiles.

--

The current PADI nitrox curriculum totally bypasses any tables. I had to order those separately to get at them.

I dive following my PDC, but I like to plan my dive with tables. Which means I'm still using my RDP if I'm planning a depth profile which is different from my usual handful of standard profiles.

--

SSI where I got NITROX cert....the Equivalent depth in feet (based on fraction of oxygen) and CNS clock exposure time tables are supplied so that you don't have to calculate exposure times etc...just follow the row and columns. Just makes it easier that doing the math...if your lazy like me.

SSI where I got NITROX cert....the Equivalent depth in feet (based on fraction of oxygen) and CNS clock exposure time tables are supplied
Not anymore with PADI. It's computer only. But luckliy, it seems as if it's possible to get those tables - both the RDPs for 32 & 36, and the EAD/oxygen clock table if you ask for them & pay a few €€€/$$$.

Not anymore with PADI. It's computer only. But luckliy, it seems as if it's possible to get those tables - both the RDPs for 32 & 36, and the EAD/oxygen clock table if you ask for them & pay a few €€€/$$$.

I have a computer. I like to use my tables.........just a personal preference..... and yes, I still log all my dives. But then again I have a 7 year old flip phone everyone always cuts up on......LOL.

--

Download Baltic-Lite app. It's the free version of a pretty good deco planning software. Perfect for planning recreational dives, including repetitive dives. Will also calculate necessary gas volume.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom