New to scuba diving and have a general question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joe Garrity

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't had many dives aside from my certification courses that were conducted between myself and the dive master who certified me.

I'm making a trip to the Philippines and will likely be joining dive groups. My question is about conformity to a groups dive plan.

I will most often be wanting to dive with Nitrox to increase my bottom time, while remaining in shallower depths for better lighting conditions for photography.

If the groups have varying agendas, such as diving with air or deeper depths with shorter dive times, how can I accomplish what I intend without having to conform to the groups restrictions.

What's the etiquette, and what should I be able to expect within reason?

Thanks.

If you are on a guided dive, you should expect to stay with the group and follow the profile and dive plan presented in the pre-dive briefing. Some dive operators will allow a buddy team to dive their own profile, depending upon their experience, certification level and the conditions at the time of the dive, but your should not expect this. Let your desires and objectives for the dive be known, and the operator may very well incorporate them into the dive plan. However, if you are diving with a group you should plan and following the group dive plan, staying with your buddy and staying with the group unless specific other arrangements are made with and approved by the dive operation crew in advance.
DivemasterDennis

At your experience level, don't expect nitrox to extend your bottom time.

You will most likely be limited by available gas and not nitrogen loading.

As wrote above - if you dive with group, expect to follow DM and group. Where are some exceptions, but you can't expect it before trip.
If your plan is very different from group plan, find buddy with the same dive plan, like you, and ask tour lead if you with buddy can dive separate from the group. Not always allowed.....
At your experience level, don't expect nitrox to extend your bottom time.You will most likely be limited by available gas and not nitrogen loading.
Almost, but not necessary. My son's air consumption with 20 dives is about a half from mine with 200 dives.
Also many photographers like doubles....

Follow the leader---eeer DM.......(since you're new & all---I Imagine all the pics you'll want to take & get will be just fine coming with that arrangement------)

Last edited:
Most places that do guided dives expect the group to stay together. If your plans significantly differ from the plan for the group, you may be able to hire your own guide in order to do exactly as you please. It will also be useful to communicate with the dive op before you go, and give them as much information as you can about who you are and what you want to do. They may have several groups going out, and be able to place you with one with a bunch of other photographers, that would better suit your needs.

You didn't say what you mean by shallow, but if you're doing photography on 30 ft reefs, Nitrox isn't going to buy you any bottom time. It doesn't sound like you're Nitrox certified, are you going to take the course in the Phillipines?

I've done plenty of dives on my own, and when I'm in someone else's pool, I have no problems with following a guide. He's going to show me a ton of stuff I'll miss on my own. I just stay a little away from the group to avoid getting kicked in the head. Some new divers aren't used to being able to move in 3 dimensional space, they rise and descend without looking above or below.

Thanks for replying guys.

I live in Taiwan, so my hours are opposite most of you. Which is why I am just now reading and responding to my post.

I had 10 dives in February of 2014 and obtained my OW certificate in the Philippines . I then did 5 dives in December of 2014 and obtained my AOW in Taiwan. I then took the Enriched Air non-dive test and passed last week. I'm on my way to the Philippines next week and purchased an underwater camera and LED lights last month.

Almost every dive has been a test with a dive master. I observed other groups and felt as if they were comparable to a bunch of Chinese tourist on a tour bus and conforming to group expectations. So I assumed this might be a concern.

I will likely do as someone in this thread suggested, and migrate to a handful of people with the same dive plans in mind and perhaps we can influence the dive center to be flexible with the agenda.

The reason I did the AOW and Nitrox certifications so quickly after the OW is because it's required to do the Malapascua Thresher Shark dive. Of course it will come in handy with the other dives I'll be doing on Alona beach and Balicasag. I'll also be seeing the Whale Sharks, but that will be snorkeling since Scuba is restricted..

As a brand new diver you have a lot to learn, and the best way to learn is in the herd. Guided dives are set up to get everyone down and up safely and enjoyably, and this involves supervision by your dive master. With your level of experience the dive master should be very reluctant to let you go off on your own. If you want a tailor made dive plan you'll probably have to make different arrangements.
Building your diving skills is a long term investment. Personally, I would recommend that you leave all your camera equipment on the boat the first couple of days, get used to breathing underwater, and have fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom