How many of you love diving with your spouse?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Z Gear

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am very fortunate that my wife likes to dive with me. I enjoy seeing her being amazed at the under water world, and it is great to share it with some one you love.

There are a few little things that kind of bug me sometimes though. For example:

She loves to hold my hand most of the time, although now its getting a little bit better.
When we kick out to the kelp beds I have to tow her when she gets tired.
Her mask fogs up a lot.
She blows through her air in half the time I do.

Things I love
She cracks me up under water.
laying on our backs watching our bubbles and the sea life go by.
Taking selfies of us together
talking about how cool the dive we just had!

I know I'm forgetting some things. But tell me what you love or what drives you crazy when you dive with your spouse.

Frank G
Z GEAR - Z Gear

Frank, my wife also used to hold my hand so I know what you mean. We now have her just slip her hand into my harness (hold my shoulder strap) (suggest having her on your left side so her left hand is free). This also helps when she needs a boost (you are not towing her, you are just assisting :winky:) .

My wife and I are buddies and I have done all of my dives since we were both certified together with her. We are always very physically close when we dive and look out for each other. The only time we hold hands is when we are doing a free ascent and do our safety stop together. It seems to dampen out the ocean movement so we are able to stay more stable in the water column than if we were separate. We do this especially if there is poor visibility so we do not lose each other. I assisted her when there was current we had to swim against to get back to the boat. She grabs my fin when she sees that I am shooting to the surface and cannot stay down. Our assists of each other are getting less frequent as we get better, but we are both pretty old and have things wrong with our bodies and we will need assistance from each other as long as we are still able to dive. I have had three shoulder surgeries and need help getting into my wetsuit and getting my arms into my bcd straps. She has also had some major life threatening health problems that she survived, but now has the aftermath. We travel together and take classes together. I am usually amazed that we are usually the only two people who stay together as buddies when we are in a group of other divers. I tell divemasters that if it is choice between staying with my buddy and chasing after a divemaster who is not paying attention, then I am going to stay with my buddy. The only thing that bugs me is that she sometimes is behind me and I have to keep turning around to find her, instead of her being beside me. She is getting better at that as time goes on. She is afraid of sharks, kelp, and poor vis. I grew up in Southern California and we would go to the beach a lot, as a result I am only afraid of jellyfish and stepping on sea urchins. I do not think I would dive without her. We are going to take the rescue class this summer and there is no doubt in my mind that I would try to rescue her without any consideration of putting myself in danger. If something happens to me, she only needs to bring the body back for burial (according to me). I am much older than she is. I hope that answers your questions.

I be a hoping to get my wife in the water this spring! She has some fear of the water and we are working thru that a little at a time. Bought her a wetsuit for the no sinking feeling and she has been showering in a mask and snorkel to get thru the water in face stuff. She has been talking to an instructor about swim lessons also. I have a ton of gear and tanks, so a ready to go buddy would be nice! Also cuts down on the explaining why I need this or that for diving,,,, hopefully!!! We will see, we already run two businesses together, so why not try the diving thingy!!:wink:

I love my wife, but I'm glad she doesn't dive (she is certified, but decided she doesn't actually like diving). Diving is my thing, and she respects that. Anything diving related is my time away with my mates, whether it's club night, day trip, or a weekend away. She uses the time to do things she likes to do (shopping, dance class, silks, etc).

I do the vast majority of my travel diving with my husband. I love the fact that he likes to dive, and likes to travel, and that he likes to cave dive. Cave diving, in fact, is the diving where we get along the best. In open water, we have different patterns of behavior. He says I follow him; I say he swims away from me when I stop to look at something or take a photograph. It's an improvement from the old days, where he dove "DFA" (death from above, the pattern of diving slightly behind and above one's buddy).

There are people (like our own Diver0001) with whom I have simply "clicked" -- our pattern of diving is just somehow instinctively the same. For me and Peter, working as a team has been very much a learned thing, and it isn't perfect.

I totally love diving with my wife Debbie. She is an excellent diver, we have a team approach to setting up gear, she is very "by the numbers" for pre-dive planning and pre-dive buddy checks, and we have enough dives together ( around 200) that our in-water placement is automatic- she likes to be a foot behind and a foot above me on the left. She got me into diving anmd then joined me as a diver 5 years later. She is also a great traveler. I do the planning and booking and then from arrival at the departing airport until we get our bags retrieved on return, she is the travel boss, and great at it. She keeps me from losing tickets, vouchers, and even passports. Debbie is also more sociable than me and through her we make friends and share our dive experiences with others. Best of all, unlike Z Gear's wife, Debbie is a low air consumer, and she is essentially my "spare air." With occasional exceptions, she reutrns with about 30-50% more air in the tank than I do. When I am diving without her, my go to buddy is Chgarlie, who is agood buddy, biut a distant second to Debbie. And then of course there is instabuddy...., but that's another story.
DivemasterDennis
DivemasterDennis

Back
Top Bottom