Geezer Gas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BradMM

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm not yet Nitrox certified but I am 60 years old. I was told today that Nitrox is considered "geezer gas" because I guess it's perfect for older folks...? Now I'm curious and will get certified but I'd like to hear your thoughts.

There are a number of anecdotal claims. It hasn't been definitely proven. Then again, if you only believe what has been established via the scientific method to a standard acceptable for professional journal publication, you may have a limited scope of knowledge indeed.

It's a fairly inexpensive, easy course. Try it. Do some repetitive dives. Maybe you'll feel substantially better. If so, maybe it's a 'legitimate' physiological effect that's yet to be established yet is no less real for that. Or maybe it's psychosomatic.

What do you care?

You feel better, you feel better. Who takes Tylenol for a headache and really cares what the mechanism of action was, as long as the headache went away?

Richard.

I am a geezer (69). In my home state I always dive Nitrox (30%). My dives are more NDL limited than gas limited. I find the longer bottom times allow me to spend more time under water which makes me happier and more mellow at the end of the dive.

Reactions: Ana
origin of the comment that I originally heard was for guys using nitrox and diving air tables so while you don't get the extended NDL benefit of nitrox due to a shallower equivalent air depth, you are diving with lower PN2's whch put you at less of a risk of a DCS incident. Akimbo's article is very good for understanding some of the other misconceptions with nitrox

I see a difference using Nitrox during multi dive multi day lobster trips, 15-16 dives in two and a half days. I don't bother for a two tank trip unless I can plan on more dive time than air.

There are two studies I know of, the first was a joke, and as I remember, the second noted divers feeling slightly (but not scientifically significant) better but the researchers said it was not from fatigue but from less sub clinical DCS. Neither study dove as aggressively as I do when I see a difference, and wether I feel better from fatigue or sub clinical DCS is irrelevant to me as the symptoms are the same. If I was diving the same schedules as the studies, I wouldn't bother with Nitrox because it wouldn't make a difference to me.

Use Nitrox if you can get more dive time, or use it to stay further from NDL, or if it included free for the trip, or, in my case, when diving aggressively after lobster.

Just one data point.

Bob
-----------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet.

Bob DBF:

Someone in another thread used an analogy I think summed up your points in a compelling way. He pointed out if you tried to find out if beer is more intoxicating than root beer, and did a study comparing people who'd drank just one can of either, you wouldn't find much difference. You need to compare people who've drank, say, 5 or 6 cans of beer vs. 5 or 6 cans of root beer. That study ought to show something.

Richard.

Unless you are hitting your max bottom time before running low on air, don't waste your money. I'm 60 been diving 44 years working on 45 nitrox certified. Did a few nitrox dives, I found that hanging an extra few minutes on the SS is far better to fight fatigue than any nitrox mix.

The fact that it is a separate cert. is ridiculous. Information that basic should be covered in OW or AOW. IMO the whole nitrox certification thing is board line fraud.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom