Anyone recommend a good light/torch?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba7

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I've used them and been around them, they're great for cave signalling that is for sure, just a very tight beam, so not ideal for night diving, can blind the fishies quite easily. Dive Rite BX-1 may or may not be worth the little extra money depending on where you live, i.e. if a Dive Rite dealer is there, and if you are doing a lot of diving having the AA option might be better.

I've used them and been around them, they're great for cave signalling that is for sure, just a very tight beam, so not ideal for night diving,

I would be mainly using it during the day, but would need something that is good at night (when needed).

The Big Blue light is excellent and would be a good choice. However, I prefer the AL1000WP, which has a wider beam. I also recommend getting the soft Goodman handle so you can keep your fingers free, and an extra battery. I particularly like the adjustable light settings and magnetic switch for a flood free experience. Twist switches with o-rings will leak eventually, unless you are OCD about keeping them well greased. Or, only turn them on/off at the surface. Even though you are looking at about $150, I think this is the best light output / least expensive compromise light that will be trouble free for a long time.

If you are interested in a cannister light here is the Facebook page of someone I know in Seattle that makes a cool light that is reasonably priced. I have not had the opportunity to use one myself but everyone really likes them that I have talked too. They are not under $100 but they are not $1800+ either.

https://www.facebook.com/DustysLights

I'm going to put in my .02 for the Dorcy Penetrator. Nice beam, good run time, a fairly tight core with a nice illuminated area around it. I used it down at Vortex Springs this weekend, including a night dive back into the cavern area. I found it quite acceptable.

Steve

The Big Blue light is excellent and would be a good choice. However, I prefer the AL1000WP,
$165.
Thanks for the input.

---------- Post added February 12th, 2015 at 02:32 PM ----------

I'm going to put in my .02 for the Dorcy Penetrator. Nice beam, good run time, a fairly tight core with a nice illuminated area around it. I used it down at Vortex Springs this weekend, including a night dive back into the cavern area. I found it quite acceptable.

Steve

Thanks Steve, but it is no more powerful than the lights I have now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom