Buddy Check mnemonic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billt4sf

Contributor
Reaction score
Fayetteville GA, Wash DC, NY, Toronto, SF
# of dives
500 - 999
My wife and I decided (again) that we REALLY *REALLY* need to do buddy checks EVERY time and we spent two hours and developed a mnemonic that reflects what our most common errors are.

Our mnemonic is H. A. W. E.

H - Hoses. We have four of them plus the corrugated hose (in cold water). We will check the routing and connection of each hose. That will automatically check that we have our hoods and gloves on, that the BC hose and necklace are in the right place, and we'll tug each hose to make sure it's securely connected, and that air is flowing in each one. That will automatically put a little air into our drysuit and BC.

A - Air on.

W - Weights. We have our weights in, and we know how to release one another's weights.

E - Exhaust. The drysuit exhaust valve is fully open.

What do you guys think of this plan? Are we missing anything? We seem to always remember our mask and fins.

What phrase do you suggest to use to remember the mnemonic? I came up with Hot Assed Women (er, I mean Woman). The "E" I haven't figured out (Excellent?).

Someone suggested How Are We? which is really nice but not as memorable.

Thanks,

Bill & Emily

I don't have any specific mnemonic for it, but we do toe to head buddy checks for the following. This is same as the checks done yourself

Fins, have them and straps are solid and not broken

Crotch strap is under the waist belt

Waist belt is on and secure

Shoulder straps aren't twisted and bc is sitting properly

Reach back and check to make sure you don't have twisted regulator hoses *individual only, buddy will visually verify*

Tap drysuit and inflator buttons to verify functionality *individual only*

Make sure SPG is clipped off and not crossing anything

Lean back and have buddy check for bubbles at connection

Verify second stage functionality during cold water treatment

Open drysuit exhaust on descent

Once horizontal tighten waist belt and verify everything is situated correctly and conduct dive.

As you can see, unfortunately there are a few too many things to check than I think you can come up with a mnemonic for. I wouldn't tug on hoses, but depending on your routing, I would reach back to the first stage and ok the hose all the way back to the regulators. If the primary is untwisted odds are the rest aren't but it greatly depends on your first stage and personal hose routing preferences. Most of these checks can be done during cold water treatment, one buddy has mask on back of head and does modified S-drill checking regulator function of both second stages, and while that is happening the buddy is checking fins, straps, waist belt, and hose routing. When done with the cold water treatment, diver leans back and checks for bubbles at the first stage. Switch positions and good to go.

What's a buddy? :D

Not sure yet another mnemonic is needed beyond PADI's BWRAF and TDI's START.

I prefer the head to toe method. But I've still gone in a couple of times with glasses on and I've found myself on the 20' line pulling along under the boat wondering where my primary regulator was...

BAR

I like to think in terms of systems.

Buoyancy: Test Drysuit inflate and exhaust, test BC inflate and exhaust, indicate lift bag or SMB.

Air: Breath primary and octo while watching SPG noting pressure, mix and tank size. Deploy donation reg to see if hoses are trapped. One of my big pet peeves is the buddy who doesn't bother deploying the octo because it is too hard to replace and assumes it will work.

Releases: Locate and indicate weight belt/integrated weight pocket releases, BC releases, cutting tools.

That covers the physical part.

I can see the need for a mnemonic for newbies, but I find the routine of checking my buddies gear pretty easy to remember after doing it so many times. Maybe just work on a consistent sequence so that it becomes more automatic?

We start at the top, work our way down checking connections, weights at the waist, back to air on, test breathe while looking at spg, test inflator.

Both regs are breathed during setup, first without air on and then with air on, so the second is covered.

The most frequent things that have been picked up on buddy checks for me have been missing gauges (which is not included in your mnemonic), dry suit hose not connected, and weights forgotten (both of which you would get).

I find that starting at the top and working down works just fine. Since my buddy is following along, and also understands the head-to-toe check, if I omit anything, they will call me on it.

I think that whichever mnemonic you choose, they key is that it doesn't turn into an automatic mindless ritual. It's common sometimes just to go through the motions without actually checking thoroughly and it registering in your mind. I see it happen quite a bit on buddy checks or even under water.... you see someone checking their gauges and a second later the DM asks them how much gas they have and they need to look back at their gauge because it didn't register... they just went through the motions.

The key is to always remain alert and make sure everything you do check is properly acknowledged and mentally retained.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom