High blood pressure meds

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hitdbeach

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Can anyone speak to the complications or considerations that being on medication can have with dive ops, insurance, waivers, etc. My doc has now put me on blood pressure meds. He says it won't impact my diving...at least physically. When signing the dive shop waivers I've never had to check the yes box before. Is the dive op going to want something in writing? What else should I consider?

If it were me, I'd ask the pharmacist if the medication will react differently while diving (i.e. while the body is under pressure). They may have to take a day or two to get back to you though. I suggest the pharmacist because regardless of what the doctor prescribes, it's the pharmacist that's actually handing you the medication.

I'm on Coversyl. I made sure I had the "certificate" signed by my doctor who prescribed the stuff. I just keep a copy of it with me in case I'm asked.

If it were me, I'd ask the pharmacist if the medication will react differently while diving (i.e. while the body is under pressure). They may have to take a day or two to get back to you though. I suggest the pharmacist because regardless of what the doctor prescribes, it's the pharmacist that's actually handing you the medication.

Don't check with a pharmacist... they will have no idea, and are far too busy to look into it, and won't really have the foggiest idea where to look. Good intentions and all.

Check with DAN.

PS - OP should be more concerned about high-blood pressure and diving, rather than high-blood pressure meds and diving. Not terribly concerned, but the underlying condition is more likely to present issues.

Can anyone speak to the complications or considerations that being on medication can have with dive ops, insurance, waivers, etc. My doc has now put me on blood pressure meds. He says it won't impact my diving...at least physically. When signing the dive shop waivers I've never had to check the yes box before. Is the dive op going to want something in writing? What else should I consider?

Im on lisinopril...I have had no adverse consequences down to 104 feet. take your meds, lose weight if necessary to help. There is an adjustment period on blood pressure meds. Work with your Dr. The first month and adjust your meds as needed. They started me with a diuretic which was a nightmare. The dosage may need to be tweaked to keep your bp under control and you not feel fatigued.

I lost 25# and can actually go a few days before the bp starts creeping up.

Never had had a problem with dive ops, if it is controlled with meds, you don't have high bp.

Jay

The OP asked: "Is the dive op going to want something in writing?"
The answer is maybe, or probably for a liveaboard, or definitely for taking a class.
In general, if there is a YES box, and you check it, then more information is needed.
Best to get an annual doctor's signature on page two of the standard medical questionaire, saying to are OK to dive, and have it with you.

The form is available on the web, but here it is to keep things simple.
View attachment Medical Statement V201 - 10063.pdf

If you have to answer yes to any of the questions on the Medical Statment you have two options.
1 lie about a yes answer and say no.
2 Get the Doctors Statement filled out by a doctor saying you are fit to dive.

I have done both, that has been my personal choice. I have the doctors statment and usually use it.

If you have to answer yes to any of the questions on the Medical Statment you have two options.
1 lie about a yes answer and say no.
2 Get the Doctors Statement filled out by a doctor saying you are fit to dive.

I have done both, that has been my personal choice. I have the doctors statment and usually use it.

If you elect to go with option 2, the Dr statement will have to be kept current. I believe that means within the past year.

I take Diovan for hypertension. I have a general physical every year and I have my doctor sign off on the PADI release form for recreational diving. When I fill out the resort questionnaire I never indicate there are any medical problems. I always have the up-to-date medical release form with me because of my age, in case some operator requires a release because I am 60+. It has yet to happen but probably will sometime before I hit my 80th birthday. �� Scuba Police ��

How do you feel about personal responsibility? Do you feel about your relationship with your Doctor?

The only thing you do by checking "yes" is to put him/her in the middle of a potential lawsuit. Do your research about
adverse effects/counter-indications to diving for whatever meds you consume. By all means ask your Dr. and/or DAN.

[RANT]
Then put on your big boy/girl pants and check "No". You and you alone are responsible for your own health
[/RANT]

Reactions: BRT
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom