Interacting with sea life look but don't touch!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Z Gear

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I had to get this up only because I think it is an important point to bring up from time to time. I have to thank Old Bear who actually suggested that this be its own thread and I did not hesitate to start one.

It is very tempting to touch and interact with sea creatures. I know because I have done it many times. I see a cool little horned shark
and I want to hold it ( I know about the spike). I am getting better at refraining myself from doing some of these things.
I do lobster hunt, spear fish and look for scallops. So I am touching those animals but my intentions are for consumption not curiosity.

There are quite a few marine scientist on this board who have helped to educate us on why we should stop this type of behavior and I hope that they can chime in and at least help us to go in the right direction. I have reminded myself not touch things , mainly because I have seen that message reiterated on the forum before. It is a good message to tell others. Especially when we can be come confused when we see other divers riding sea turtles or whale sharks. We think wow! I can't wait to do that, and get it on video too!!!

I wonder how many of you are sill touching, grabbing, tickling or even riding sea creatures.
I know I am guilty of it, how about you.

You mean, not doing this?

8261eaca3dfb762af66859dbb72652ba.jpg

If this is the message some aquariums are passing, it's a hard job to educate people. Especially in a world that has predominantly seen animals as being inferior and without rights.
(By the way, the photo is of what happens in the Songkhla Aquarium and there is a petition for some companies to stop sponsoring it while this behaviour continues https://secure.avaaz.org/en/petitio..._of_Green_Turtle_and_Shark_torture_in_S/?pv=2 )

But most (all?) introductory life courses mention environment preservation and respect, don't they?
CMAS has its 10 golden rules:

Dive like your shadow, do not leave any trace and be a sensible part of the underwater world, not an alien.

1. Never enter the water through reed, living corals or water plants.
  2. Control your buoyancy.
  3. Keep distance from corals and other animals and do not stir up sediment.
  4. Take care where you drop your anchor during boat dives.
  5. Do not chase, touch or feed wild animals.
  6. Do not spearfish for fun and do not buy or collect any souvenirs such as corals and shells.
  7. Be very careful when diving in caves. Bubbles or any simple contact may destroy delicate life.
  8. Keep diving places clean.
  9. Learn about the underwater life and avoid any destruction.
  10. Urge your buddies to follow these rules too.

You may want to clarify "touching" versus "being touched"? Does it count if they initiate contact?

Kind of like the rule they had about approaching penguins in Antarctica. You were not allowed to approach any closer than 5 meters. But it was considered totally acceptable to sit down in the snow and allow a penguin to come up to you (and peck at you). The rule was all about not infringing on their space. But they were allowed to follow their curiosity and initiate close contact.

We regularly allow sealife to touch us. Pederson cleaner shrimps, cleaner gobies, etc...

I have also had a few other close encounters. Once an octopus come up to me and glommed onto my out-stretched hand and bare arm. no worries as I was aware of how to roll it off my skin. I have had a remora attach to my bare leg and ride with me for part of a dive.

In all of these cases, the sea creature initiated the contact and we were very careful to not try to enclose or force the animal to do anything. We were passive.

This is not made easy by either the examples set by aquariums as seen above or by resort dive guide's/DM's poking, prodding and feeding the marine life.

I have seen plenty of dive professionals breach what was taught to me as one of the fundamental rules of diving.

Locally we have strict rules regarding interaction with marine life, particularly whales and sharks, and we are often joined by members of the marine research team on our regular dives. We are very fortunate to have annual visits by Humpbacks and Whale Sharks. Water entry is forbidden with the whales and strict rules are issued for swimming with the sharks. As Giffenk mentioned the Whale Sharks have not read the rules and regularly come very close for a look at swimmers.

Whilst the local operators adhere to the guidance issued by the marine team it is too common to see visiting boats driving inflatables directly over the sharks with their prop turning.

Once in a blue moon I touch something small. Have no interest at all in touching anything that approaches my own size (or is even longer than one foot). I am concerned with my own safety. Many will say I am unduely worried. Of course I touch the shells I collect.
I don't know how damaging riding a big turtle or shark, dolphin, etc. can be as there are differring points of view. My guess is it would depend on the area--if there are a whole lot of divers doing it in the same area I would think it's not very good. On the other hand, many also feel that creatures have a lot more to fear in the sea and get "out of whack" about than divers.

Last edited:
Kind of reminds me of that saying - Do you deny beating your (insert - wife, dog, child, significant other, octopus...).

You cant answer without some kind of caveat - if you feel the need not to touch any thing under the water have at... The slippery slope is where does the "self proclaimed righteous one" draw the line with this non-sense?

When you interfere with another person's right to enjoy themselves then we start going down the Nanny State path - which I prefer not to start...

I just do not like to touch any living organisms above or below water. Even plants are dangerous.

I don't initiate contact. But, if you sit and watch long enough, you will find that critters will make contact with you. I just sit back and enjoy it. I have had frogfish, octos, 'cudas, seahorses and other critters sit on me, stroke me and explore every nook and cranny. I love it !!

These frogfish encounters are common. They will try to sit on you as a new hunting platform. I sat once, had one rest on my leg, and start flashing it's lure. it was FABULOUS!!

Not my video....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSPI_PBjpfs

Sigala Divers got a great video of a frogfish swimming from diver to diver.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007337537550&pnref=story

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom