yesterdays dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scoobydrew

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Yesterday was a good day.

I got to do a dive I had been attempting for four months. Two friends joined me, one on CCR, the other sidemount. I took twins with 3 X 80cf stages.

The dive was 3km long bottoming out at a max of 70 feet and took 4 hours. The stretch was from Cobalt Coast on Grand Cayman to Lighthouse point (we all work for Divetech).

Heres a pic of a stowaway who decided to tag along for a while...

turtle.jpg

very little deco. The dive is a mini wall which starts at 40 feet and drops down to 70. I had 32% in all my tanks. As this was the first time doing this dive which could be difficult if we encountered currents we decided it was safer to avoid much deco obligation by bottoming at 70' and then multilevel the rest of the journey. Deco time was 5 minutes and also cleared on 32%

My son and I have done that dive on Divetech's West Bay Express DPV trip. Of course, it only took about an hour and much of the scenery went by much too quickly. We did see a large number of turtles and rays. It would we great to see this whole stretch of reef in a much more leisurely manner, I would imagine not many have the opportunity to dive it.

I recommend the West Bay Express highly. The half day CCR experience is another Divetech offering that is not widely available and is a really fun, though humbling, experience.

My son and I have done that dive on Divetech's West Bay Express DPV trip. Of course, it only took about an hour and much of the scenery went by much too quickly. We did see a large number of turtles and rays. It would we great to see this whole stretch of reef in a much more leisurely manner, I would imagine not many have the opportunity to dive it.

I recommend the West Bay Express highly. The half day CCR experience is another Divetech offering that is not widely available and is a really fun, though humbling, experience.

The West Bay Express is good fun but as you say, a different kind of dive. Funny you should mention CCR as I have recently started out diving with one and totally agree that the initial part is very challenging. Since CCR certification, I have re-visited this dive and did it on an evo with just a 40cf bailout. The difference was incredible as you can imagine lugging around 5 X 80cf tanks versus a rebreather with bailout.

All very good fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom