Wet dust cover

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all,

I see there are many threads regarding dunking or soaking a first stage with the dust cover off, and varying opinions based on duration and other factors about what should be done after such an incident. But I can't seem to find any help for my situation specifically.

I am new to diving and reg ownership. I was in the pool last weekend and, after rinsing off with the reg still attached to the tank, I replaced the dust cover without drying it off first. I immediately realized what I had done, removed it, wiped away the water, and replaced it. I also removed it for about an hour when I got home to let it air out a bit.

The first stage is a ScubaPro MK21. What should I do?

Thanks

PS
On an unrelated note, prior to this incident right after purchasing the reg, I took a draw through it will the dust cover off... is that harmful? I thought better of it after doing it. I also practiced some out-of-air scenarios were my air was cut (expectedly) in 5 feet of water. It was under the guidance of the instructor, but I was wondering if it puts stress on a reg?

I understand that the equipment is both complex and reliable, and is also sensative... just wanting to make sure I am taking proper care of my investment. Any other helpful information about no-nos of regulator ownership beyond the basics of maintenance covered by the mfg and schools would be helpful as well.

Hi all,

I see there are many threads regarding dunking or soaking a first stage with the dust cover off, and varying opinions based on duration and other factors about what should be done after such an incident. But I can't seem to find any help for my situation specifically.

I am new to diving and reg ownership. I was in the pool last weekend and, after rinsing off with the reg still attached to the tank, I replaced the dust cover without drying it off first. I immediately realized what I had done, removed it, wiped away the water, and replaced it. I also removed it for about an hour when I got home to let it air out a bit.

The first stage is a ScubaPro MK21. What should I do?

Thanks
First of all welcome to diving and equipment ownership. Replacing the dust cover after rinsing your reg unit while attached to the cylinder wasn't as bad a step as you may think. The Dust cover keeps moisture out but also dirt from entering the first stage and hose system. In your case, since you caught it you really didn't cause any harm to the reg. There are those divers who will tell you to blow dry the cap using the cylinder before securing it. This may blow deposits into the materiel so I do not recommend it. Blowing it off with a breath or just wiping is usually suffice.

PS
On an unrelated note, prior to this incident right after purchasing the reg, I took a draw through it will the dust cover off... is that harmful? I thought better of it after doing it. I also practiced some out-of-air scenarios were my air was cut (expectedly) in 5 feet of water. It was under the guidance of the instructor, but I was wondering if it puts stress on a reg?

I understand that the equipment is both complex and reliable, and is also sensative... just wanting to make sure I am taking proper care of my investment. Any other helpful information about no-nos of regulator ownership beyond the basics of maintenance covered by the mfg and schools would be helpful as well.

Breathing from a un-connected reg, is it harmful? I would say no not at all. You are just doing what a cylinder full of higher pressure air would do much easier.

The equipment is very reliable but not as complex as some may think. If you rinse your reg without the cap in place you could simply re-connect it to a cylinder turn on the air and pressing both purge buttons blow any moisture out through the reg system.

In the case of a emergency situaton a tec diver can switch regs while under water from one cylinder to another. Once changed the diver would open the valve and purge the the reg system of any water. Following this sort of emergency, the diver will ensure the regs are cleaned and checked before the next dive.
If it gets filled with salt water make sure to purge it with clean fresh water and follow up with a inspection and cleaning. Otherwise you could end up with a reg looking like this inside. Believe it or not this reg still worked as per spec. Don't let it get this bad Dirty Reg.jpg

They are reliable but they do require maintenance to ensure proper operation.

Thanks GSI.

From my understanding when I purchased the reg, ScubaPro filters are packed so tight that water in the intake is only an issue if you pressurize the reg right after, but I was just making sure. How much water would be required to cause real damage? Is a droplet of water something that would cause the reg to need servicing? I would think that given the environment that this equipment operates in that some minor exposure will occur. Nonetheless, I will be more careful in the future.

---------- Post added February 24th, 2015 at 11:28 AM ----------

Also, is that reg in the pic pretty much done for? Would you be looking at getting a new first stage or is that one still serviceable?

GDI puts it in perspective. Regs are sensitive to water in the first stage, but not THAT sensitive. They are designed to still work even if completely flooded, though as GDI points out, it's best to get them serviced soon if that happens.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom