Need tips on keeping warm before/during/in between/after dives.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ange2014

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi there - I get cold very quickly even in my 2x 7mm wetsuit in tropical waters! Need all the advice I can get in keeping warm in order to enjoy my dives (especially the 2nd/3rd dive within a day). Any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

There are several things you can do. Above the water- there are several full length coats that you can wear over your suit, The one I can think of is called the Sur Fur. A sock cap, hood or insulated hat can help. Before getting in the water- Pour warm water down the suit, will pre- heat it for you. During the dive- there are battery powered heated vests & such that can be used. make sure a hood is used (most heat is lost through the head. Back on land (if on land)- have a shelter to get out of the wind. If it is safe enough, you can also use a propane heater. I have even seen people get in their cars & crank up the heat. If on a boat, find a sheltered area of the boat to get out of the wind.

if you're getting that cold, drysuit with a Santi BZ400 undersuit+heated vest

Or you could think about diving in a dry suit. The pro: you stay in your inner layer so you keep warm before and after the dive. Depending on the temperature the under layer. I get a little cold too, but not that bad, but I see more people wearing dry suits even in Egypt. And an in between solution would be a semi-dry suit, which certainly warmer than a wetsuit. There are semi dry suits that almost keep you dry. Diving dry or semi dry takes some practice, but it comfortable in the colder climates.

And eat some hi carb food. Your body needs energy to make heat. I eat a low carb diet normally, but what I love about diving and other outdoor activities is it's a great excuse to pig out on carbs the night before and the morning of a dive.

Goes to show that everybody is truly unique when it comes to comfort. I rarely wear more than a 2MM suit, and that's usually only for fall and winter diving in FL. Spring and summer, it's just swimsuit and a rash guard. At times, my main worry is overheating above water.

First, are you sure your wetsuit fits you properly? It should be quite tight. Not tight enough to cut off circulation or restrict movement too much, but just loose enough that it doesn't. If it's too loose, it's not working as water flows through it too quickly. Seals around ankles, wrists, neck, and zippers are really important.

If that doesn't work, you may look into a Thermolution heated vest. This isn't exactly a cheap option, but less expensive than going with a drysuit. It's designed to go under your wetsuit. I've never used one, but have heard some good reviews on the vest.

@Belzebub around here the water temp goes down to 32-37 Farhrenheit in winter. You're welcome in your 2 mm suit :cool2:

@Belzebub around here the water temp goes down to 32-37 Farhrenheit in winter. You're welcome in your 2 mm suit :cool2:

Down here in Kentucky right now, the surface temps are 38 degrees Farhenhenheit & bottom temps of 42. Air temps have not been above freezing for nearly a month.

Along with much of the above, you also need to realize that the evaporation of water off the suit while on a SI will result in further cooling of your body. If at all possible, get out of the wet suit and maybe get into some fleece (tolerates wet)....

you then need to figure how to make that suit "comfortable' again.... get it in the sun, inside out, and get it dry and/or warmed.

There is much recent controversy over your head, and the effect it has on cooling your body, but I do find benefit to wearing a beanie for warm water diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom