Level of fitness/strength needed for rescue course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Iralub

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
A number of people have recommended doing the rescue course. While I would certainly want to do things that may make me a safer diver, I'm concerned about the level of fitness/strength that is required to do the course and to pass it.

Although I'm not unfit and exercise regularly, I can't boast a great deal of muscle power and am quite short/petite. So can't really imagine how I'd manage to do a task like lifting someone onto the boat when I have trouble lifting the AL80 tank or towing someone (who is likely to be twice my weight) if I have trouble finning against moderate/strong current.

So what sort of fitness or strength level is required and what sort of accommodation is made for size/strength? Is it worth doing the course if there is a good likelihood that I'd fail a number of exercises/won't pass the course? (I wouldn't want to do it with someone who will pass me if I haven't met the requirements)

Curious about opinions out there.

It can be done, you do need to have a moderate level of endurance more then anything in my opinion. I just finished rescue this past weekend and it was by far the most physical class I have ever done. In my opinion as long as you have an average level of cardio conditioning you should be good. The hardest part is being the primary rescuer in the scenario on the final day. My instructor had all three of us take the role so we did three different scenarios.

I would urge you to do it, you would be surprise by what you can do in the water. You also come away from it with not only the confidence you can competently help someone in the water, you have more confidence in you abilities as a diver.

Not taking the course won't make you any stronger should you actually run into a problem, so take it to find out how to do as much as you can within whatever physical limitations you have. You might want to talk with the instructor in advance about your concerns, though, so he will be prepared to work with you on them.

A Moderate level of fitness, The physical side can be as easy or as hard as the instructor wants to make it. If you don't have a bad back you will have plenty of opportunity to practice, the best way for you to bring a diver in distress to the surface and onto a boat/side of the pool.

Some of the most useful parts deal with avoiding serious problems and recognizing them ahead of time. It is good for finding out what you can and cannot do. If you dive off charter boats then the reality of what you need to be able to do is to keep you and your buddy alive until the professional help arrives. The towing is not a speed contest. In still water a small propulsion will still move a large object, just not quickly.

Do the course. I think you will be surprised by what you are capable of.

It may also be just the motivation you need to continue to work towards better physical fitness, not just for rescue, but for you in general.

You should be fit enough to tow another diver for a specified distance ... if you can tow a diver for 100 yards, that should be plenty.

That and removing a diver from the water are the most physically demanding parts of the class ... and removing a diver from the water can be extremely physical or it can be relatively routine, depending on terrain, technique, and resources ... which will vary from class to class ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

often technique is used in place of strength. having some strength and endurance is not a bad element but often technique will overcome these

Iralub, lots of good comments above, and I join with those who recommend you take the class. My Dive Center focuses on teamwork and technique. Never understimate the value of 2 or more compared to one. However, many rescue situations in life may not afford you the luxury of a teammate. Most of them in the Rescue Diver Course do. Take the class. You will be a better diver and a better buddy for having done so. And the fact is, you just mught surprise yourself about your own physical competence under pressure!
DivemasterDennis

Go do it.

The hardest part was towing in a diver, a carry onto the beach and CPR, and although it was no picnic, the instructor did not pair up the smallest person to rescue the largest. Part of the course is knowing what to do and using the people available to carry out the rescue, should you not be able to do it all alone. Self rescue, reading signs of problems in other divers before a rescue are necessary skills you need as a diver. Go prepared, work hard and even if you can't drag a larda** like me out of the water I'd bet you will learn a lot and get your card.

I've done rescue twice, in 1990 and 2010, and might take it again before I hang up my fins. Always interesting and fun.

Bob
---------------------------------------------
That's my point, people, by and large, are not taught that diving can be deadly, they are taught how safe it is, and they are not equipped with the skills, taught and trained to the level required to be useful in an emergency.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom