Sea Otter on dive float

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Dive Life

New
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I'm trying to find information regarding the laws protecting sea otters in California. The discussion was when a sea otter climbs up on a dive float if he is protected from being tipped off. I have been told that once an otter is on your float they own it until they decide to leave. My concern is the safety of my students and coming up to a float with a wild animal on it.

If you know the answer and can point to some hard evidence please let me know. I'm not having any luck with Google searches.

They are protected under the Marine Mammal Protection Act, which states in part that you will not harass any marine mammals. Additionally, Sea Otters are protected under the Endangered Species Act, which states in part that you really really will not harass any protected species.

I'd be very careful how you interact with a sea otter on your float. I even be leery of offering them a white or black abalone to entice them to leave your float. If course, if you can figure out how to make the float no longer float while a sea otter is on it, then they won't be on your float any more....

Edit. These aren't California laws, but federal ones. MMPA is jointly administered by NOAA and FWS, and the ESA by the FWS. Try googling witht he specific acts.

…I'd be very careful how you interact with a sea otter on your float. I even be leery of offering them a white or black abalone to entice them to leave your float...

OMG, removing a white or black Ab from a rock would be another handful of violations (Scuba, species, season, south of the Golden Gate’s center, etc). Sorry Dive Life, give them the float until they are well clear and on their own terms.

OMG, removing a white or black Ab from a rock would be another handful of violations (Scuba, species, season, south of the Golden Gate’s center, etc). Sorry Dive Life, give them the float until they are well clear and on their own terms.

I forgot to add the [sarchasm] [/sarchasm] tags again, didn't I?

So is tipping an otter off a dive float defined as harassment? behavior intended to disturb or upset, and it is characteristically repetitive.

Is this like a whale, where you are not allowed to go scuba with a whale if you see it while on the boat, but if you are in the water scubaing and the whale decides to swim over and hang around that's OK? That was pretty much what I was told in Hawaii. Though interacting with 30 ton whales is obviously a bit different than 30 pound sea otters.

So is tipping an otter off a dive float defined as harassment? behavior intended to disturb or upset, and it is characteristically repetitive.

My guess would be that harassment is in the eyes of the FWC officer or NOAA fish cop, then the judge.

Why not eliminate all questions by getting a float that no self-respecting otter would climb on? Scuba Diver Dive Diving Ball Float Holder with Flag site Marker - Balloons / Buoys - Seavenger | Scuba Gear, Diving Equipment & Snorkeling - FREE SHIPPING

So can you shoot an SMB with a dive flag on it and claim it is a dive float?

My guess would be that harassment is in the eyes of the FWC officer or NOAA fish cop, then the judge…

Agreed, let alone some of the rabid environmentalists who will testify against you in a heartbeat. I am guessing you are primarily talking about Monterey… yeah, that place with a zillion tourist cameras pointing at those cute little buggers.

Yes, Monterey.
11024664_416111718564088_6523843383285343566_o.jpg

Back
Top Bottom