Should I buy my own equipment???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adam61

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm fairly new to Scuba (got certified about 9 months ago). After my initial certification I did about 4 more local lake dives, then recently took a cruise where I got to do 8 dives in differing conditions (90', wall dive, drift dive, etc). I'm obviously by no means any kind of expert with about 20 dives. I plan over the next 12-18 months to do a SCUBA focused 7 day trip, and complete the AOW and Rescue PADI courses along with possibly a few specialties while on my trip. So my wife and I's thought process is the time to buy our gear (if we buy gear) is before the AOW course since it seems pointless to buy the gear shortly after paying a bunch of rental fees for various classes and the trip. So here's where I'm stuck...

Just to clarify we both already have masks, snorkels, skin suit, wetsuit, booties, and fins. We just need the expensive stuff.

We really enjoy diving, but there is really no local diving so we will dive recreationally primarily in the Caribbean maybe once a year. We'd like to dive more often, but with our work schedules taking a week off for a resort, cruise, or locally organized SCUBA trip would be an annual event at best. Pros and cons as I see them...and I defer to everyone here's vast experience over mine I'm just trying to make a strong decision.

Pros:
-Much more comfortable in own gear allowing for more comfortable dives and faster skill gains
-Save rental costs on each trip

Cons:
-Don't dive that often and airline baggage fees, and regular equipment maintenance can exceed rental cost
-Hassle of lugging around normal luggage along with scuba gear is pretty hefty
-Fear of breaking/losing/theft of expensive gear
-Initial cost outlay is very significant for 2 complete SCUBA kits

I'm not opposed to either option, just would love to hear any thoughts from experts, and what the conventional wisdom is for vacation divers like me!

Thanks so much!!!

Pros:
-Much more comfortable in own gear allowing for more comfortable dives and faster skill gains

If you are diving as little (infrequently) as you say you are going to, this is not really accurate....

That little of diving to me says keep renting.....

It's a tough choice. I'd only say that don't just think about buying two complete sets of diving gear, as you mentioned on your "Cons". Maybe most people would like to have their regs... but for instance, it can happen that one of you doesn't always feel comfortable with the rental BCDs or wants a BP/W and then buying that item would make more sense.
And there are other things that can be handy, such as depth gauge (not to say straight away computer), DSMB...

We really enjoy diving, but there is really no local diving so we will dive recreationally primarily in the Caribbean maybe once a year. We'd like to dive more often, but with our work schedules taking a week off for a resort, cruise, or locally organized SCUBA trip would be an annual event at best.
As already noted, with that anticipated level of activity, rent.

In my opinion if you are looking to do AOW and Rescue you will be much more comfortable in kit that you are familiar with. with regard to travel, i think it is wise to at least buy your regulator (which can fly as hand luggage in South Africa) you will always know how it has been looked after. I would also buy a travel BC and get used to diving that. sure outlay is expensive, but I don't like not diving my own kit. You also need to see this in the context that our local diving conditions are not tropical.

Equipment isn't cheap, but put it in perspective: an acceptable reg and BP/W or BCD can cost much less than one week in the Caribbean (airfare, room, etc.) and then you have your own gear for as many trips as you want. Will also lower the barrier to making more local lake dives, too.

"
icosm02.gif
Should I buy my own equipment??? "

-------Sure makes your ego feel better.....:)

In your situation, I'd just purchase a BC/regulator(s)/ & computer for each

I held off for several years buying my own equipment until I was sure I wanted to commit to the sport. At the time I was living in a remote part of AZ, four hours from any airport, so travel was indeed a hassle. But once I realized how much I love diving, I bought my own gear and took at least two two-week trips a year. I never regretted it once. In fact, I was so used to lugging that big bag around that when I finally took a non-scuba trip, it felt like some part of me had been amputated.

we both already have masks, snorkels, skin suit, wetsuit, booties, and fins.
IMHO : Dive computer for each should be your next purchase. If you don't have plan to go to techno, it can be simple computer, supported Nitrox, about $200 each.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom