is being able to open eyes underwater a necessary skill

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Iralub

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I suspect that this is a silly question, but is being able to keep eyes open underwater (without mask of course) a useful or necessary skill for diving safety? I've been trying to do it in the pool and it is not working for more than a few seconds and making my eyes hurt into the bargain. Was even worse in salt water.

I don't have a problem dealing with a flooded mask, but if I lost my mask underwater I wouldn't be able to keep my eyes open to see anything. Don't know how likely a scenario that is.

I suspect that this is a silly question, but is being able to keep eyes open underwater (without mask of course) a useful or necessary skill for diving safety? I've been trying to do it in the pool and it is not working for more than a few seconds and making my eyes hurt into the bargain. Was even worse in salt water.

I don't have a problem dealing with a flooded mask, but if I lost my mask underwater I wouldn't be able to keep my eyes open to see anything. Don't know how likely a scenario that is.

A.) Not 'necessary' but definitely a 'useful' skill.
B.) Carry a backup mask and will never be a problem... or a worry.

I suspect that this is a silly question, but is being able to keep eyes open underwater (without mask of course) a useful or necessary skill for diving safety? I've been trying to do it in the pool and it is not working for more than a few seconds and making my eyes hurt into the bargain. Was even worse in salt water. I don't have a problem dealing with a flooded mask, but if I lost my mask underwater I wouldn't be able to keep my eyes open to see anything. Don't know how likely a scenario that is.

Maybe just try to keep your eyes open longer, and you will find that it does not hurt as much as you thought it does... it will not burn your eyeballs, it is just initial discomfort. You can swim the entire length of a swimming pool with your eyes open.

Reactions: Doc
I would say that just falls under being comfortable under the water...if you panic because your mask falls off and water hits your face and you can't open your eyes in that situation I would tentatively say you should't be diving. If you can do your emergency drills quickly and comfortably with your eyes closed then it is not a huge deal.

I keep my eyes closed for my mask removal drills and demonstrations, only because I wear contacts when I dive and don't want to wash them out. However, when I do lap swimming I don't wear googles. Old lifeguard training standards rubbed off (no time to put on googles in a rescue! :D)

Personally, I hate chlorine in my eyes, but don't mind salt water at all. It's obviously good to be able to see to find a lost mask, regardless of how blurry vision is. I have never dived in a place where there are so many divers that my mask may somehow be kicked off. But I have had mask straps break (fortuntately those 2-3 times were while gearing up). I don't dive with a spare mask because I figure if a strap breaks down there I probably could hold the mask on. Carrying one would be a case of it dangling, as I have 10lb. weights in the BC, making fitting a mask in there pretty hopeless (I do squeeze a foldable snorkel in one pocket). My spare mask is in my "save a dive" kit to avoid having to re-strap my mask during that dive day. See how it goes eyes open in salt water. If fresh water there should be no stinging at all.

I sincerely believe that being able to function witout a mask is a definitive advantage. On one of my OW class dives, we had a kind of a CF. The instructor discovered a wolffish during one of the breaks between exercises and wanted to show it to us. It turned into a melee, all the students trying to get a glimpse of the critter, and suddenly my vision became blurred. I saw a mask floating/descending in front of me and realized it was mine. One of the other students had managed to kick it off my head, and neither of us had the mental bandwidth - nor the experience - to realize what was happening before it happened. Fortunately, I'd done quite a bit of swimming and snorkeling before my OW class, so I didn't even think, nor panic. I just grabbed the mask, put it back on, cleared it and continued the claas.

Now, what could have happened if I'd had an adverse reaction to getting water in my face?

I'm still not used to 40 degree salt water.......lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good comments above.

IIRC, salt water is the about the same salinity as eye tears, so I'd venture that perceived discomfort in an Ocean environment, assuming temperate climate, is moe a matter of a psychosomatic effect. It can seem very real, nonetheless.

Get used to it, practice it, no less a useful skil to acquire than any of the other "required" skills in any specific certification.

Back
Top Bottom