Close encounter of the painful kind? How about bitten , stung or rammed anyone ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Z Gear

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was stung on my knee by a sting ray a few months ago while I was filming. It was pretty painful. I had another weird incident, this time I was pushed from behind by a giant black sea bass. It kind of nudged my tank and then pushed me. I turned to take a look at it but it was gone. I reviewed my go Pro footage and in the background I could just make out the sucker. That was freaky!

I have had some close calls with eels while trying to grab lobsters out of holes, and also a few times I almost set my hand down on a Sculpin. Now I am trying to be more care full to better my chances on not getting tagged.

How many of you have had something sting, bite or ram you?

If anyone has captured some of this on video please share it with us and please include the raw video with unedited audio, you know this is got to be terribly good.

Last edited:
Now I am trying to be more care full to better my chances on not getting tagged.

Yes, good idea there.

Had a Giant Cuttlefish fall in love with my tank once. I had a rather large octopus try to steal my camera and get fairly aggressive when I refused to give it up.

I have had Blue Groupers bump into me trying to get my attention or see if I was going to feed him a sea urchin. Oh yeah I had a grouper grab my hand once.

Only stings I have had were from something floating in the water. I really react to stingers so I tend to cover as much skin as possible. :)

I have a theory that we don't get aggressive morays etc since it is ilegal to spear or collect on scuba here. the critters don't tend to see us as a food source.

Squid playing with my hand,light blinded fish running into my mask on night dives.

Jewfish grabbing fish on a stringer attached by a clip and jerking me around.

Lionfish,fire coral and bristle worms spearing and lobstering.

Finger shredded by an eel lobstering.

Bumped by 8'-10' sharks from behind on deco.

Having pods of dolphin roll me on deco with their wake as they went by at full speed inches away at dusk.

Had spearshafts driven back into my flesh,including just missing my carotid.

There's more but least fun was having a GWS bump my lionfish filled stringer on my ascent and part of deco in deep water.The stringer was held out in front of me on my speargun to ward him off,he circled for probly 10 minutes,coming in getting stuck and hovering around and making more passes.

One time I started to fall while exiting a shore dive in Bonaire and I put my hand down hard on an urchin, yeowwww!

I broke a portion of one of my front teeth off when bear hugging a grouper who slammed his tail into my metal regulator.
I have been stung by scorpion fish
I have been bitten 3 times by moray eels, once really hurt.
I have been rushed by sharks with their mouths open causing me to punch them with my fists in defense (does that count as ramming)?
I have gotten fish spines jammed into my fingers when trying to handle fish, once was so bad i couldn't do a pull up for a year.
I have been electrocuted in the face by a stargazer at night while solo, that one freaked me out because I initially didn't know what happened.
I have had armoured catfish jam their dorsal spines into my upper lip because i disturbed them in zero visibility while golf ball diving.
Many instances of the same fish injuring me with their pectoral fin spines in the hands when sweeping the bottom for golf balls.
Does fire coral even count? Too many of those.
Got man o war tentacles wrapped around my bare ankles on surfacing and getting in the boat... that hurt a lot.
Stung in the face and lips innumerable times by moon jellies.
I've had the spines from spiney lobster cause significant pain and discomfort going into my knuckles and fingers.
I've been pinched pretty good by Maine lobsters many times, but no broken bones or permanent injuries.
Of yeah kicking urchins and pulling spines from ankle, also got a bunch in my forearm causing pain and numbness.
Bristleworm stings.. pretty many times on the arms.
I've been bitten by many snappers and some other fish when spearfishing and grabbing them carelessly.

Squid playing with my hand,light blinded fish running into my mask on night dives.

Jewfish grabbing fish on a stringer attached by a clip and jerking me around.

Lionfish,fire coral and bristle worms spearing and lobstering.

Finger shredded by an eel lobstering.

Bumped by 8'-10' sharks from behind on deco.

Having pods of dolphin roll me on deco with their wake as they went by at full speed inches away at dusk.

Had spearshafts driven back into my flesh,including just missing my carotid.

There's more but least fun was having a GWS bump my lionfish filled stringer on my ascent and part of deco in deep water.The stringer was held out in front of me on my speargun to ward him off,he circled for probly 10 minutes,coming in getting stuck and hovering around and making more passes.

OK that was a pretty freaky situation with that great white.
As far the eel goes that's exactly what I am trying to avoid when I go bug hunting.

Wintertime here is nesting season for ling cod and cabezons, and both can be aggressive, although the cabbies are the worst. I had one come at me, seize a piece of my dry suit in my mouth, and sit there TUGGING on it. Luckily, the suit was a Fusion, so all he got was Lycra, and the fish was only about 12 inches long.

We were doing open water dive 2 for a class of friends, when a ling shot out from under a piling and started hassling one of the students. He eventually bit her in the wrist (left a bruise!). I had two thoughts going through my mind: First, she is going to bolt (which she didn't), and second, "That's MY dry suit!"

I've been hit in the mask by more than one anemonefish. It helped to learn that their territories expand as you go up from the anemone.

I broke a portion of one of my front teeth off when bear hugging a grouper who slammed his tail into my metal regulator.
I have been stung by scorpion fish
I have been bitten 3 times by moray eels, once really hurt.
I have been rushed by sharks with their mouths open causing me to punch them with my fists in defense (does that count as ramming)?
I have gotten fish spines jammed into my fingers when trying to handle fish, once was so bad i couldn't do a pull up for a year.
I have been electrocuted in the face by a stargazer at night while solo, that one freaked me out because I initially didn't know what happened.
I have had armoured catfish jam their dorsal spines into my upper lip because i disturbed them in zero visibility while golf ball diving.
Many instances of the same fish injuring me with their pectoral fin spines in the hands when sweeping the bottom for golf balls.
Does fire coral even count? Too many of those.
Got man o war tentacles wrapped around my bare ankles on surfacing and getting in the boat... that hurt a lot.
Stung in the face and lips innumerable times by moon jellies.
I've had the spines from spiney lobster cause significant pain and discomfort going into my knuckles and fingers.
I've been pinched pretty good by Maine lobsters many times, but no broken bones or permanent injuries.
Of yeah kicking urchins and pulling spines from ankle, also got a bunch in my forearm causing pain and numbness.
Bristleworm stings.. pretty many times on the arms.
I've been bitten by many snappers and some other fish when spearfishing and grabbing them carelessly.

I would have to say this is a pretty impressive pain encounter list. You have to have some of this on video! If you or others do post video please include the best part the screaming audio that goes with it, its probably the best part!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom