How many Deco Obligations did Jacques Cousteau have ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

An even better question:

If Mike Nelson actually did those dive profiles shown on Sea Hunt,
how many times would there have been crossover episodes with Quincy, M.E. ?

Deader than Nixon.

What surprising is that in those times science behind the decompression was not what it is today, and Jacques Cousteau lived through so many dives and had a full life. I'd say, statistically speaking, he is a miracle to have survived for so long.

I would think that people on the dive team made a lot more dives than Jacques Cousteau, especially Albert Falco. Cousteau had to spend a lot of his time raising money to keep the Calypso and crew going. Cousteau’s main focus was on filming rather than deep diving so I doubt he spent all that much time hanging on to decompression lines.

argh.

OK, with the exception of 15 foot 3 minute safety stops.

ScubaInChicago was making the point that every time you get in the water with Scuba - you are in fact doing a decompression dive - but because you do not cross the NDLs they are optional as you state - 15 foot for 3 mins.
He is technically accurate but most of us don't acknowledge it that way, most of us think of the Mandatory FULL STOP Hard Ceiling - do not go to the surface as a deco dive... :D

Some agencies actually teach that all dives are decompression dives and instead of "safety stops" teach a minimum decompression schedule.

Sent via

If you are asking how many dives he did that meet the modern definition of technical decompression diving, I have no idea, but I don't think there were as many as you might expect. A very large portion of his dives were exploring new dive sites, and he very much needed to film what he was seeing. Natural light would be a real advantage in those days. I suspect he did a whole lot of what we would call NDL diving today.

---------- Post added March 27th, 2015 at 01:42 PM ----------

Some agencies actually teach that all dives are decompression dives and instead of "safety stops" teach a minimum decompression schedule.
Those are all just words, but words can confuse. PADI recently eliminated the phrase "no decompression diving" from its course work for that reason. It is now called "no stop" diving to indicate that a decompression stop is not required.

Last edited:
I have no idea how many deco dives Cousteau made, but he did make some big dives. When he dove the Britannic he was no spring chicken, the dive required a diving bell for support, and he even wore his iconic watch cap instead of a hood during the dive (maybe so the viewers could identify which diver he was underwater) :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-ShLUtrj2s

Fun to watch "old school" tech diving. No BC's, double hose regs... notice the jury rigged floats on the manifolds of triples they wore. I'd guess to provide a little buoyancy at depth.

Best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom