sanitizing mouthpiece before putting in mouth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

decimal86

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
hi

does anybody here sanitize their mouthpiece before you put it in your mouth? i mean that mouth piece has taken a tour of the boat floor, dive center floor, sand, etc

before we hit the water, does salt water kill bacteria/germs for an unlimited time?

if this has been asked, my apolgies. ( i did do a search using the same title)

Some people care enough to be repulsed by having something in their mouth that has been in other peoples mouths. If they do not own their own reg then they might travel with a mouthpiece or buy one from the centre and ask them to fit it for their use.

other people just throw it in there.

Hey,

I know in France clubs have legal obligation to sanitize them after (or before) every use, for at least 15 minutes in a tub with sanitizer (but hey, those guys even forbid regulator sharing during training :confused:)
I personally don't care, my regs usually don't lie on the ground, but even if they would, I'd still not worry about it. You can jump in the water and rinse them at that moment if you want. I don't think many people have had health issues due to that.
Or even carry a bit of sanitizer if it makes you feel better.

Of course, on rental regs from kettle-operators, I might want to clean them. But I have my own regulators, and that's one of the reason for it =)

Diving is the sport that shares snot, pus, blood and Gawd knows what else AND I've heard that some people even pee in their wetsuits.

If you're concerned about your own germs on your own mouthpiece, I suggest you take up golf... Where you can wash your balls at every tee!:dance:

Ah--------just spit on it & wipe real hard..........:)

It will probably be okay.

What particular disease are you concerned about catching from a SCUBA regulator?

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom