Computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm looking for a basic dive computer do not want air integrated just basic wrist model with the largest and best backlight I can find I have to wear reading glasses now. Someone recommended that I get the stick on reading magnifiers to put on my mask.

with the largest and best backlight I can find

Heinrichs Weikamp OSTC sport or Xdeep Black EANx. Oh yes, they cost some.

I have to wear reading glasses now. Someone recommended that I get the stick on reading magnifiers to put on my mask.
It might be a good idea to get prescription lenses (reading glasses) on your scuba mask. It is possible.

One option is the Liquivision Kaon. Active OLED display so you don't need a backlight.

Liquivision KAON Air & Nitrox Dive Computer LV-ES-KN

Capture.JPG

Liquivision KAON Air & Nitrox Dive Computer Features

The Only Wrist-Mounted Recreational OLED Dive Computer,
that you can actually read without a backlight, dive light or glasses, and you can actually use without referring to a cheat sheet
A computer where you can change the battery in 1 minute flat, no tools required
A performance computer that actually fits your wrist, female or male
660 ft / 200m rating

You probably won't like the price - $750...

What's your budget? have you considered something with an OLED / LCD screen?

Atomic, Liquivision, Shearwater, Mares all make computers with this type of screen with different features and levels of complexity.

Shearwater Petrel, hands down. Even if you never go tech, it is an awesome computer, and while not cheap, certainly within reasonable range. I saw one for $650 at a dive show, and the Petrel 1 (without the compass) is probably available cheaper now.

Leaving aside everything tech related, this is a great computer because of (1) the very bright and readable display, (2) the tank-like construction, (3) the user replaceable AA battery, and (4) Shearwater's customer service, which is second to none.

Do a search here - you won't find many posts saying bad things about the Petrel. If readability is very important to you and if you can afford it, it's the best, IMHO. Some people rule it out if they absolutely have to have wireless air integration, but the OP said that that wasn't necessary. I don't use WAI at all, I have a Suunto Vyper Air that I never use any more, found WAI to be unreliable and I have no problem with an analog SPG.

The cheapest option IMO is to get your mask fitted with tailored prescription lenses. The large backlit O/LED display devices are anywhere from $500-$1000. If I understand you correct you issue is around vision, not DC’s??? Either this, or $850 for a Petrel.

The cheapest option IMO is to get your mask fitted with tailored prescription lenses. The large backlit O/LED display devices are anywhere from $500-$1000. If I understand you correct you issue is around vision, not DC’s??? Either this, or $850 for a Petrel.

I have a mask like that, and even with the lenses, there is no comparison between the Petrel and something without a backlit display. The difference in readability, especially for those of us with eyes that are more than half a century old, is significant.

Its a Petrel then .......

Mares Punk PRO, fits your description, and are very easy to use.

Petrel is down to 699 brand new, you can't buy a better computer.

Back
Top Bottom