Achy neck after diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrsNic

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Does anyone get a sore neck after a dive? I was in no way concerned and put it down to body position in the water- horizontal and looking up to see where I was going- I know Google is terrible but I decided to use it to see if anyone else out there sometimes gets an achy neck but it just keeps going on about DCI! Should I be concerned? I did 2 dives both well within limits and a good SI, no rapid ascent and did safety stops at 5 meters on each dive.

Thanks,

After a couple of hours of cave diving, where I have to be perfectly horizontal and crane my neck back to see in front of me, my neck DEFINITELY hurts!

I've occasionally had a slightly sore neck after diving, but Advil made it better.

Until the medical folks chime in:

Can you provide more info RE: dive profiles; time from end of dive to the onset of symptoms; other symptoms; any non dive related occurances of similar symptoms; Did OTC meds help?
If you are still in pain, I'd suggest a Dr., and calling DAN with the details listed above.

Hope that you are okay.

edit to add:TS&M is a better/faster typist than me!

I used to get a very sharp pain in the back of my neck, a little on the right side, during and after every dive. I found a perfect cure for it. Let me describe it and see if it might work for you.

After yet another painful dive, I explained to my buddy that he needed to stop dropping back and above me as we dived. He explained that he liked to be in that position, because he could see me so well. I told him that it was the opposite for me, and keeping track of him was becoming a, well, a real pain in the neck.

I explained to my buddy that he needed to stop dropping back and above me as we dived. He explained that he liked to be in that position, because he could see me so well. I told him that it was the opposite for me, and keeping track of him was becoming a, well, a real pain in the neck.
I've been in that position (being the behind and above guy) with some more experienced divers a few times. After I got the regulator kicked out of my mouth a couple of times I've decided there are downsides to being back there...

. . . horizontal and looking up to see where I was going- . . .

Yes, that will do it. It happens to me often.

Be proud of your good horizontal trim. Resist the temptation to be envious of divers with poor trim and no neck ache. :wink:

Dove with a lot of divers that were a pain in the neck or elsewhere. [emoji28]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone get a sore neck after a dive? I was in no way concerned and put it down to body position in the water- horizontal and looking up to see where I was going- I know Google is terrible but I decided to use it to see if anyone else out there sometimes gets an achy neck but it just keeps going on about DCI! Should I be concerned? I did 2 dives both well within limits and a good SI, no rapid ascent and did safety stops at 5 meters on each dive.

Thanks,

im in no way a medical professional of any type so the best i can give you is my personal diagnosis of your problem. i would have to say its alzheimer's. but i could be wrong. could just be that your diving with your neck bent alot happens to me all the time.

Over 50, neck hurts after every dive.

MrsNik, does your neck ever bother you any other time in your life?

Shall we assume your neck isn't hurting you right now? Or is it still hurting?

Yes, my neck has hurt me too after diving. As said above, being horizontal and gawking around can hurt.. coming up the ladder in full gear can strain neck and shoulders.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom