Tried Split Fins... Not Impressed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TN-Steve

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've kept hearing how great split fins are, how they make it so much easier, how I'll love them forever once I try them. Yea, not so much for me.

I have been diving a set of Scubapro Novas that I love. I can flutter, frog, pivot, stop and position myself without thinking. They are easy on my old legs, I'm as fast as I need to be and then some. They worked well with my knees bent up and doing little sculling kicks. In short, I like them.

Now my LDS (with whom I'll be going for Divemaster and later instructor for them) isn't a Scubapro shop, and I've gotten a bit a good natured flak about "Diving stuff we don't sell".

I tried a set of the Atomic "Smoke on the Water" splits this last weekend. Yea, they were easy to kick. I couldn't frog kick for beans in them. I'd move, but no real glide, not like the Novas. When I put them out like drag-brakes to stop in position, I just kept gliding. Trying to pivot from a hover involved lots of big sweeping motions.

I'm thinking of trying either the Atomic Blades, or maybe something from the Aqualung family, maybe the Slingshot, since the band technology looks like they would feel a lot like my Novas, or maybe a plain blade like the X-Shot.

I'm not interested in a set of rocket type fins, too stiff and heavy for me to be comfortable in. What other suggestions do you have? (and "Change your dive shop" isn't an option. They are great folks, we have a great relationship, and I see where they are coming from.) I've got Aqualung, Atomic and Dive Rite as the main brands they sell.

TIA,

Steve

Split fins can be repaired with duct tape.

Split fins can be repaired with duct tape.

Helped out one of the crew on the Truk Odyssey a few years ago...

SplitFix.JPG

...he seemed happy with the results.

Todd3.JPG

---------- Post added April 13th, 2015 at 10:37 PM ----------

I've got Aqualung, Atomic and Dive Rite as the main brands they sell.

Of those, I'd go with the Dive Rite XT

2642.jpg

Anything with bands or slingshots or whatever is pure nonsense.

Depends on how fancy you want to get with your kicking--ei. what kind of diving you do. I have no problem doing the frog kick with them. And they say they are great for reducing cramps--which I believe, being VERY prone to that. Besides, I won them at a Treasure Hunt and got used to them. I don't use them in the pool--not sure why not. Maybe because they're big and not so great if you're standing around a lot in the shallow end.

Depends on how fancy you want to get with your kicking--ei. what kind of diving you do. I have no problem doing the frog kick with them. And they say they are great for reducing cramps--which I believe, being VERY prone to that. Besides, I won them at a Treasure Hunt and got used to them. I don't use them in the pool--not sure why not. Maybe because they're big and not so great if you're standing around a lot in the shallow end.

I'm just a rec diver, do some photography too. Going DM and Instructor over the next 12 months. I didn't cramp, but I didn't feel comfortable in them. my feet felt very 'vague' if that makes sense. With the novas I didn't have to think, I could just do. Maybe I'll dive them this weekend for my rescue diver class, see if I get a better feel for them. With the frog kicking, I felt like I wasn't getting any 'push' forward, and I know I wasn't gliding nearly as much.

Usual rig for me is a single tank and pony, and a lot of times drysuit. (Our local quarry is always cold). I'll give them more of a try during the Rescue class I'm in next week, see if that changes my mind on them.

Thanks

Steve

I tried a set of the Atomic "Smoke on the Water" splits this last weekend. dive shop" isn't an option.

Not_the_fins.png

PS - until you're an employee, you're still a customer. If they were that concerned about you "not diving what they sell" they'd loan you gear to use during classes. However, if they want you to buy such gear from them (more proof that you're a customer) so they can use your example to sell more of the same to other people... well, then you know what your relationship with the shop is based on.

If you want to support the shop that way, the Dive Rite XTs are nice fins in warm water. They're not negative, so I don't like them as much in cold.

If they sell Mares, the Power Planas are wonderful.

My "position" with the shop is a curious thing. Right now I'm working part time 10 or so hours a week doing sales. The plan is to bring me on full time, as DM, then instructor. I'm also training as equipment repair tech which they are paying for the on line aqualung classes for me. I'm working with one of the owners who has done repairs for years to build my skills. Basically I'm in the position of a career changer moving into the scuba field. So they while they aren't demanding that I change gear, I easily see their point.

Hopefully this helps clarify things a bit on why changing fins would be a good thing

Well then, don't ignore the Dive Rite suggestion! Is was a very good one.

I dive Atomic Smoke on the Waters, as I, too, had heard good things about splits early in my diving, and wanted a good example of the type. Had a brother-in-law get foot cramps with paddle fins, that went away with splits. From what I've read in some of the uncounted threads on fins/split fins on the forum, based on other's input:

1.) Splits were said to be forgiving of bad finning technique.

2.) Splits tend to be fine for flutter kicking, which is about all a lot of divers do, not so good for frog kicking (which I've seen but not been trained & practiced to do), and worse for back kicking.

3.) People debate either way whether they do a decent job on current or not.

4.) Some report enhanced thrust compared to paddle fins, and some don't. You sound like a 'don't.'

5.) Take 2 divers cruising real close to the bottom. If one's flutter kicking in splits, & one frog kicking in paddles, behind the splits guy you're liable to see little silt clouds where his kicks are causing down current puffing up the bottom. Depending on whether you frog kick, and how close to the bottom you sometimes get, a fin more optimal for frog kicking might be preferred.

Seems to me it's a 'right tool, right job' issue. Someone flutter kicking over the reef wants easy cruising. Someone doing penetrations wants precise control & good performance on non-silting finning techniques. Someone in steel doubles & a dry suit with weights for cold water may want more power.

Problem is, fins aren't all real cheap, people vary in their preferences, and it can be hard to know what you'll like till you try them. Pay attention to what's negatively buoyant or positive (for example, I noticed Hollis F1 fins were reputable, but from what I understand heavy; then I noticed there's an F2&#8230:wink:. I've been tempted to try a different kind, but paying $150+ without knowing how I'll like it put me off.

Whatever you take an interest in, see if you can try it awhile diving before you settle on it.

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom