Thinking about going to backplate & wing config for travel, what do I need to know?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaDoo83

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm starting to travel more and more to dive and I'd like to cut down on the mass of "stuff" I have to lug around. BP&W looks to be right up my alley. Also, I'll eventually like to try sidemount and doubles. Any recommendations? What am I not considering? Thanks in advance!

I'm starting to travel more and more to dive and I'd like to cut down on the mass of "stuff" I have to lug around. BP&W looks to be right up my alley.

"Mass of stuff" is an interesting choice of words...

BP/W Travel Upside: packs very flat/small
BP/W Travel Downside: Steel plate = 6lbs in its own

I travel with my Halcyon steel plate rig everywhere. I don't care about the weight. I'll even bring the 6lb weighted tank adapter as well if needed. I'll bring fewer clothes, no toothpaste, wear my fins on the plane... whatever. I'm bringing my BP/W.

One of the key benefits of a steel plate is having the weight right where your wing - and your lungs - are located. Sure you could get a plastic or AL "travel" plate which will be lighter in your suitcase but then you'll need 6 (or 12) more pounds of lead onto a belt/in pockets when you get where you're going.

Also, I'll eventually like to try sidemount and doubles. Any recommendations? What am I not considering? Thanks in advance!

Metal plate (steel or AL) will be fine for doubles.

Sidemount is a whole different rig, so won't translate over. Perhaps some parts... but you're looking at a dedicated SM rig if you go down that road.

Last edited:
Haha you're right, maybe I should have said "girth" or "bulk". Anyway I love my BC but the more I travel with my gear the more I care about packing space. That's a shame to hear about the SM. I would just like to piece together a system that travels easier and gives me a bit of "future proofing" in that it allows me to use it for different kinds of diving.

Haha you're right, maybe I should have said "girth" or "bulk". Anyway I love my BC but the more I travel with my gear the more I care about packing space. That's a shame to hear about the SM. I would just like to piece together a system that travels easier and gives me a bit of "future proofing" in that it allows me to use it for different kinds of diving.

If you seriously think you'll go SM eventually from a "tech" perspective but still want a single-tank BP/W for travel now... the rig I would seriously consider as "single tank only" Travel BP/W is the Halcyon Traveler or Traveler Pro:

halcyon-traveler-pro-bc-system.jpg

Packs as small as any BP/W. But much lighter weight. What I like is the ability to add up to 12lbs of weight to the plate once you get where you're going via the weight-pocket system:

traveler_backplate.gif

The design lets you put the weight right where it would be if it were a standard 6lb plate +/- 6lb weighted tank adapter.

Halcyon-Traveler-Plate-close.jpg

The Traveler has a non-detachable 30lb wing. The Traveler Pro comes with a regular Halcyon 30lb or 40lb wing.

Halcyon ain't cheap.

But as Oscar Wilde said "I have the simplest of tastes... I'm always satisfied with the best."

BP/W Travel Upside: packs very flat/small
BP/W Travel Downside: Steel plate = 6lbs in its own

Not necessarily. I travel with an aluminum plate ... weighs less than 2 lbs. Cheng's kydex plate is even lighter weight. A friend of mine made a backpack that fits on the backplate, and that's what they use for their carry-on.

The Halcyon travel rig is a wonderful piece of gear for travel, if it fits your budget. The rig's pretty lightweight and packs down smaller than most jacket-style BCDs ... but it's pricey.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I have successfully used and love the Diverite Transpac Harness and wing. It is easily converted to sidemount (I did it) and packs very small and light. It has just flown as yesterday as part of my hand baggage on British Airways along with my travel regulators, computers etc. I started with a Transpac and RecExp wing, suitable for singles or doubles, and then bought a Nomad wing and butt plate to add to it to convert to doubles.

Because I fly every two to three weeks I actually bought a second Transpac so I could leave the Nomad wing and butt plate permanently set up for side mount. I find the Transpac and wing much lighter than a traditional backplate and wing, and easier to pack in hand baggage.

But not everyone likes Transpacs, and depending on where you dive the Nomad harness might be a bit of overkill. Great with a drysuit and steel tanks in cold water.

P.

I travel with the Deep Sea Supply Kydex plate. For single tanks, I have weight pouches on the cambands that allow me to bring my ballast up to what a steel plate would be, or even more if need be. Everything disassembles and lies flat. You can even take the corrugated hose off the wing, if you are that tight on space, and it will lie flat.

^ Likewise, I travel with the Kydex plate and use weight pouches on the cambands to adjust trim based on my exposure gear. I also bring a rubber weight belt to slide an extra weight or two on if necessary. Travel weight is very light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use the VDH mini plate. While it is designed to accommodate a double hose regulator's cans, this in no way affects it's function as a general purpose plate for travel, single or double hose. It is not quite standard hog as it uses a two piece harness that can be easily removed, get over it. It packs very small and I use an Oxy 18 wing on it. And again, I dive it single or double hose. It is comfortable and MINIMAL. The design has crossed shoulder straps. I had been using the Oxy Travel (fabric) plate but this works better and is more stable. Though I still like the Oxy plate.

IMG_20130111_230249.jpg

I dive this rig weight integrated typically.

IMG_0351_zps261b92ee.jpg

Something old (the single hose Calypso) and everything else brand stink'n new. Oh, no, my wife's house does not have gold carpet, that is a rug in my shop to keep my feet warm.

And, while on the subject, I do not accept that it is acceptable to have significant non-ditchable weight. A couple of pounds on a cam band, okay, anymore it needs to be such that it can be jettisoned to establish positive surface buoyancy without the wing or at least neutral condition.

N

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom