Ted Harty Skype equalizing session?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LVFT

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Does anybody have experience utilizing Ted Harty's (Immersion Freediving) Skype session for equalization? My left ear is always slow to equalize which makes it difficult to do drift dives down in Jupiter/WPB. I have read numerous articles on the Frenzel method, but just can't seem to get it down. I have also watched YouTube clips including the one by Aharon Solomons. So again, does anybody have experience with his session? Was it worth it? I'm hoping for an a-ha moment. Thanks!

Ps. I also had a CT scan done on my sinuses and everything appears to be ok. I utilize the Neilmed sinus rinse, Atrovent, and Flonase as party of my sinus regiment. I practice equalizing to loosen my ETs before dives. I pre-pressurize right before descent. I have also tried most of the other techniques. I feel that I need muscle contraction to really open my tubes.

Well, he makes the assertion
... the Frenzel method ... is the best method for depths below 20 feet.
and then explains why he recommends Frenzel over the Valsalva maneuver, but does not evaluate it against Toynbee or voluntary tubal opening (for just two examples).

There are so many variations among divers that I can’t imagine how he can state that one method is the best.

Also, you posted in the Basic Scuba forum, and his discussion is clearly geared toward free-divers. Are you looking for better equalization methods for scuba or for free-diving, or both?

As seen in this thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ba...lization-technique-do-you-use-most-often.html there are several methods that scuba divers, and perhaps free-divers, use including several not included in the poll. If you read through the posts (or skip to post #26) you can infer that what works best for one does not always work best for others.

Last edited:
Well, he makes the assertionand then explains why he recommends Frenzel over the Valsalva maneuver, but does not evaluate it against Toynbee or voluntary tubal opening (for just two examples).

There are so many variations among divers that I can’t imagine how he can state that one method is the best.

Also, you posted in the Basic Scuba forum, and his discussion is clearly geared toward free-divers. Are you looking for better equalization methods for scuba or for free-diving, or both?

As seen in this thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ba...lization-technique-do-you-use-most-often.html there are several methods that scuba divers, and perhaps free-divers, use including several not included in the poll. If you read through the posts (or skip to post #26) you can infer that what works best for one does not always work best for others.

I was looking at Frenzel from a Scuba equalization perspective. I think he only compares it against Vasalva bc it's the most commonly taught method due to it's simplicity, but does not work so well for freediving. I guess I was just trying to get some insight if someone was having difficulty learning the Frenzel method and had an a-ha moment during the Skype session. Perhaps, I'll look at other forums for reviews of the session as I doubt anybody on this board has taken it.

You can read various reviews of people that have taken the session @ Skype equalizing session I've taught roughly 400~500 people to properly frenzel via my skype sessions. Almost every single problem any scuba diver or freediver has with regards to equaling will be fixed once you know how to frenzel. I have never encountered a student that once properly using frenzel continued to have any problems equalizing. I've stopped 3-4 students who were going to get surgery to help their equalizing issues. I told them not to have surgery and once they properly learned frenzel they had no problems with equalizing.

Frenzel is required for freediving if you want to dive down perfectly straight. Free divers that use valsava or other methods will be limited to 30sh foot range if diving down perfectly straight.

Scuba diving is much more forgiving for equalizing. You can use Valsalva, you can yawn, or use all these other methods. This is because generally speaking scuba divers are in a head up feet down position, and air naturally want to rise to the top i.e. you ears. Every time you take a breath of the regulator your lungs fully expand. Contrast that to freediving. We are going head down feet up, so the air wants to rise to our feet but we need it down in our head. Secondly our lungs are shrinking the deeper that we go. So we have reduced air supply and we are trying to push the air against where it wants to go.

This is why methods of equalizing that work fine for scuba diving don't work for freediving, and why valsava stops working for free divers around 30ft.

I used to teach scuba, most all scuba divers are taught valsalva . If you go on a dive trip there is always that 1-2 people that just take forever to get to depth. They have to use a line to descend and they are going up and down and up and down, because they have problems equalizing. When those people properly learn how to frenzel those issues go away.

Fee free to email @ tedharty@Immersionfreediving.com with further questions. I haven't been on scuba board in 3-4 years so if you reply on this thread I will likely not see it.

^^ What Ted said! Frenzel is the way to go for freediving and will also address most equalising issues for SCUBA.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom