Wondering if this is a problem for anyone else, any suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
I am about halfway through my basic certification training, and only have to do my 10 minute float and long swim in the pool before going for the open water portion. My problem(?) is that when I get in the water to do the distance swim, my brain does a couple of things and I get maybe one or two lengths of the pool before I have to stop. One of the first things that happens, is I feel like it's a race and have to complete it quickly, and second, I kind of panic when I can't touch due to having been caught in a rip current several years ago. No matter how much I tell myself to slow down, that it's not a race, and there are several people that can help if I have trouble, these things go through my head and I start having trouble. I have been able to do maybe three lengths of the pool while swimming slowly on my back, with very minor breaks at each end to position myself for the next length, but I still have problems. Any suggestions on a stroke to use, breathing skills to learn/practice, ways to get out of my head and get over this? I LOVE being in the water, I swim well underwater, but on the surface I have always had trouble. I also LOVE being hooked up to the tanks, knowing that I have plenty of air to swim for an extended period.
This is the only thing holding me back from getting certified right now, so, I would greatly appreciate any and all help offered.

I hear ya. I somehow made it through my Open Water course swim test years ago, but I was no swimmer. A few years ago I decided to learn to swim laps for real, and it was not easy for me. One thing that helped me was pacing my strokes to a tune in my head. Pace yourself to a nice, slow beat. Don't speed up or slow down. If you think of a tune you like that fits a nice, slow beat, you will find yourself at the other end of the pool before you know it.

Is this a PADI class? If so, you have the option of doing a longer swim with a mask, snorkel and fins. Would that work?

find out what other options the training agency allows, if any.

I had a similar problem doing my instructor cert swims. I have PTSD and after a couple of laps my brain just got squirrely. The solution was to do the swim in a protected inlet (ocean) as just 2x 200m. the lap turns in the pool just messed my head up!

Never done a swim test for any PADI certification before the DM Level. But that was 20+ years ago :)

Any suggestions on a stroke to use, breathing skills to learn/practice, ways to get out of my head and get over this?

Issue many people have with fear of swimming is actually due to feeling like they're sinking be because they have a very inefficient stroke. An inefficient strokes does two things:

1.) It doesn't propel you forward well, so you tire
2.) It often actually pulls you down into the water

Not that you need to be an Olympic swimmer, but checkout Swimming Technique: Animations & Articles From Experts Swim Smooth for what I believe is the most efficient freestyle stroke one can adopt. I swim 2miles 3-4x a week... which got so much easier once I started following Mr Smooth's example.

[video=youtube;IyR7JYllk9U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyR7JYllk9U[/video]

...This is the only thing holding me back from getting certified right now, so, I would greatly appreciate any and all help offered.

Breaststroke is the easiest for beginners: it's symmetric, you're looking where you're going, and to breathe you just need to lift your head. Tip #1: see if they let you wear goggles or mask: not getting water in your eyes (esp. chlorine) helps. Breaststroke tip #1: stretch and glide while breathing out slowly. Take long gliding strokes.

Use hand pull to lift your head, breathe in, and pull your heels to your butt. Then "dive in" palms together, kick (your kict should go slightly down because the "dive" will bend your back a bit; it feels like it's pushig your butt up & forward). Stretch like you're trying to touch you ears with you shoulders, point your toes and glide. Enjoy the glide.

PS. Most importantly: match your stroke to your breathing, not the other way around.

Last edited:
Just throwing things out there. I like the tune idea. Another idea maybe to change up your strokes if you start feeling stress. Alternate between freestyle, back and breast stroke if you are comfortable with them.

Take swimming lessons. Some people take to the water naturally, but most do not. You may well do under the water but sooner or later you are going to be on top of the water and potentially with a buddy needing your help. N

Issue many people have with fear of swimming is actually due to feeling like they're sinking be because they have a very inefficient stroke. An inefficient strokes does two things:

1.) It doesn't propel you forward well, so you tire
2.) It often actually pulls you down into the water

Not that you need to be an Olympic swimmer, but checkout Swimming Technique: Animations & Articles From Experts Swim Smooth for what I believe is the most efficient freestyle stroke one can adopt. I swim 2miles 3-4x a week... which got so much easier once I started following Mr Smooth's example.

[video=youtube;IyR7JYllk9U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyR7JYllk9U[/video]

Use this information and go find a pool to practice in until you feel comefortable

Last edited:
Reactions: RJP
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom