Buy Scuba Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At a local scuba shop that you like and trust.

Possibly lower prices can be found elsewhere, but a local store will be your hub for experienced advice, future training, technical support, and social networking with other divers.

And if you don't support a local dive shop, and it disappears, where will you get your air fills?

Last edited:
Supporting your LDS- local dive shop is a very good idea for the sake of tank rentals, dive clubs, and air fills.

Push come to shove, you can find your local Hydro facility and cut away the middle man. You can buy gear online and even service your gear by shipping it to another shop out of state or across country.
But you cannot plug your tank into a USB port and fill it. So for that purpose alone the LDS is a very useful being, unless you want to drop grands on a fill station compressor and it's maintenance.

If your shop simply doesn't have that type of gear you want to buy, at least support it with the small accessories purchases, even though you'll pay the higher price by a few bucks at most.

If you don't like the shop, give them constructive feedback. A good shop will not repulse to that unless you come off aggressive or they simply have a bad attitude, which does happen.

If you are looking on line....leisure pro has consistantly low prices and a great selection and absolutely no hassle returns including free return shipping. Dive Right In has great deals on HOG/Edge regs and they do a 10% credit towards your next purchase. I bought 4 regs from them and had enough credit to buy my wife a Lavacore wetsuit and some small items for next to nothing. Great people at Scubatoys in Dallas too.

There are are tons of great deals on equipment on Craigslist right now. I have bought all of my tanks used for less than half price, new Scuba Pro, aqualung, And Sherwood BCDs and slightly used in new condition BCD's for around 100 to 150. Regulators and 2 computers are the only major components I bought new but I would not worry about a used reg as long as you can still get it serviced (stay away from Dacor).

I support my LDS for fills and visuals, use the company they use for hydros, and purchases of items that the savings do not justify the wait for shipping. I'm footing the bill for 4 divers so it adds up quick.

good luck,
jay

Another vote for Scubatoys.com. I have always had great service there!

buy your gear at a local dive shop. get to know the owner and staff. when you have an issue, question or problem you can bring it in and they will help you! They will even service gear and help with warranty repairs. you'll meet other divers, find out about cool trips...maybe join a dive club or two! and, of course, hang out in the shop and talk diving.

buying stuff that your life depends on and looking for a cheap deal just do not go together. hanging out on scubaboard is not the same thing...

Buy Scuba Gear ,where is the best place:shakehead:

What's your unit of measure for "best"?

- selection?
- price?
- service?
- location?
- return policy?
- brands carried?
- hours?
- hot sales people?

You don't really provide enough information to allow anyone to answer your question in a meaningful way.

Back
Top Bottom