Checklist before leaving for diving [sample included] - What to take.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Texasguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I am constantly worrying that I am going to forget something at home and, you have to agree, forgetting something small as a mask, will ruin your chance of diving. Well, maybe not that day but that moment and with specific people. I have not forgotten anything yet, but, you never know.

Therefore, I compiled a checklist (in google docs) I go through when my car is being loaded for next day's dive. This list is for drysuit diving, but you get the idea.

Decided to share, maybe it will give someone an idea and, perhaps, someone will provide their tips and tricks to getting everything taken and leaving nothing to be forgotten.

Attachments

• DivingDRY-whattotake.pdf
    126.7 KB · Views: 122
Slippers and a robe? Really?

:D

From someone who grew up in Houston....keeping warm wasn't usually a problem. :) I saw those on DGX, they are nice.

Well, slippers are easy to don on, robe helps with keeping warm while packing gear. Not everyone is a viking.

I got this robe: https://www.divegearexpress.com/exposure/surffur.shtml

Ah. The term "robe" sort of conjured up a different image.

42baebdf30577af53403fb0a276f7f58.jpg

Here's the spreadsheet I use. A touch more comprehensive as I use it for travel stuff as well as dive gear. For trips - especially liveaboards - I get very paranoid about forgetting something. Below is populated for a recent trip to Truk.

So what I do is:

- Put an X in spreadsheet in Excel when I'm planning what to bring, and print list
- Each X when I lay each item out as I prepare to pack
- Highlight the whole item once it actually goes into the suitcase

I must admit, that for local diving I pretty much just throw all my crap in the back of my car and go. If I don't have it... I can borrow it.

Attachments

• Scuba Packing.xlsx
    11.9 KB · Views: 72
I am constantly worrying that I am going to forget something at home and, you have to agree, forgetting something small as a mask, will ruin your chance of diving. Well, maybe not that day but that moment and with specific people. I have not forgotten anything yet, but, you never know.

Therefore, I compiled a checklist (in google docs) I go through when my car is being loaded for next day's dive. This list is for drysuit diving, but you get the idea.

Decided to share, maybe it will give someone an idea and, perhaps, someone will provide their tips and tricks to getting everything taken and leaving nothing to be forgotten.

Is this for local diving?

R..

I see the snorkel but no Split Fins? :D

Texas Guy, you and I are very different kinds of people.

The last time I left on a world trip I literally went to the airport, booked a last-minute ticket on the first flight going anywhere off continent and had nothing with me besides some money, a credit card, a toothbrush, a camera and the clothes I was wearing.

Turned out that the flight was going to New Delhi so I bought a lonely planet guide for India on my way to the gate and read (part of) it on the plane on the way there. It was the heaviest thing I was carrying.

That was the first step in a journey that lead me to living overseas on a (semi) permanent basis. I was on "walk around" in India for more than 6 months with just the things I mentioned above. Even my shoes got stolen at some point and I ended up doing 1/2 of the trip while wearing cheap flip-flops.

My check list looks like this:

- money
- passport
- diving gear

I turns out, after two trips around this planet, one to the left and one to the right, that there are stores in other countries too. :D

R..

Yeah, I research the crap out of the place where I am going. If theft of shoes is reported, I'd then take a few pairs. Plus, I am not rich enough to get into unknown trouble. I have a set spending limit for a vacation that I must follow, that means no deviations. I am not tight, just if I will not set a limit, I'd blow it all.

I like to feel like I am on top of the situation with a few exit strategies. Don't like $$$ surprises. I probably start learning about the place I am going 6 months before the trip. By the time I am there, I am like a Green Beret know all the major roads, prices, possible problematic situations, etc.

Back
Top Bottom