1mm Wetsuit in 80 degrees?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dpspaceman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've been diving with a 4/3 through winter and summer here at home, sunny South Florida.

Great wetsuit, have never felt 1oz of cold diving from blue heron to spiegel grove in the keys. The coldest water temperature I've dove was 69-70 degrees through winter here with my 4/3 and felt perfectly fine.

I was wondering if now that water is warming up, a 1mm would be too cold or alright? Full body. trying to lose some of the weight I usually carry (12-14 lbs, weigh 145) and the wetsuit takes a bit of work to put on. Also wondering if the 1mm will be strong enough for Roatan in Sept... Water seems to be warming up here..

OR
Save the money and keep diving my 4/3. It's just a bit of a pain to put on...

I'd take a 3mm, and a hood in case of multiple dives.

Put on a dive skin first. Then easy to take on and off wet suits. Just got a skin a few months ago. Suprised by the difference it makes. Got it originally to wear with a shorty to protect legs and arms.

I would say it depends on how many dives per day and how long your dives are likely to be. A 1 mm is fine for a single dive. After all, we see people diving in the summer in nothing but board shorts. But you could conceivably get chilly if it happens to be cloudy on your surface intervals, and you are on your fourth dive of the day. I wear a 3/2 in the summer in the Caribbean/FL, and a 5/4 in the winter. The 5/4 can be overkill if the diving is easy and weather is sunny, but I prefer to err on the side of too much rather than too little.

Reactions: Doc
I would say it depends on how many dives per day and how long your dives are likely to be.

Yeah, that would be the main point. My usual answer is who knows as we're all different. In 80F water I wouldn't think of any wetsuit at all and probably could do as many dives as I want in a day. Hope to experiment in 80F some day to find out.

A 4/3 can't be all that hard to don & doff. Try that ^&%$*!# 7 mil farmer john. I'm getting too old for this.

I'm never sure which is crazier...

1. A poster asking strangers on a web forum if some or other exposure protection will be warm enough
  2. Strangers answering the question with any sort of certainty

:cool2:

That's funny.

I just got back from diving key west.....rash guard and shorts were fine for me but not for anyone else on the boat. Your personal tolerance will play a big part. If you're able, wear the 1mm in a pool for an hour and see. If you wanna dump weight but stay warm look into a heated vest. My friend dives a 3mil and heater in SoCal (50 deg).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom