SSI - Waves, Tides & Currents course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Remy B.

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone had taken this course that can share his/her opinion please, I'm interested but like to know more than what it is mention in the SSI web page.

Thanks for your time.

Perhaps an SSI instructor teaching the course in Curacao would be a good resource to query?

​Buddy Up Diving
Dr. Hugenholtzweg z/n
Willemstad
Netherlands Antilles
Phone: +599 (0) 9 - 7883412
eMail: info.curacao@buddyupdiving.com

Yes I know that, but want to hear the student perspective or experiences side.

I believe, this is a new addition to the SSI catalogue, because I don't find anything regarding this course, no one good nor bad comment/review in internet

It might be a local specialty course. PADI also has those where an instructor can come up with their own courses and get them approved. Like inshore hunter and off shore hunter are available at one of my LDS but not sure PADI advertises them.

No Steve, this is on SSI website, they teach it globally, I just downloaded the Instructor manual, I will read to see what it is about, still if somebody took this course, please, share your experience and opinions.

---------- Post added April 25th, 2015 at 07:06 AM ----------

No this is not a new Course, the Instructor manual that I found is noted as "2nd edition 5/05 It has been updated at least more than two times since 10 years ago I guess.

If taught in the right conditions as described in the instructor manual it will actually be a very good course to take IMHO, I will need to ask the Dive shop instructor in Curacao where does he plan to teach the practice dives.

I did this course in 2011. As with every course, the quality depends on the instructor in my opinion. I liked it very much.
When I did it there was no student manual, just a general powerpoint presentation about ocean currents, waves ect.
In the Netherlands we have the luxury to have the Oosterschelde. So we did two dives with tide reversal: 20 min before high tide in the water, turn around after 20 min when the water is at it highest, then swim back 20 min, and if planned well you should be back after 40min at the entry point. And one drifft dive with a zodiac.

I will see where will be the training be here in Curacao, don't really know a spot where it can be done except on the North coast, I will find out with the dive shop, if it is not in a place that will be challenging but not extreme at the same time and where I can't apply what I learned then I will not take it in Curacao and will check in Bonaire, there are some places there with good current but not extreme.

North Coast in Curacao is big boys playground, I'm not there yet, far from it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom