Do you feel diving has given you better health?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Z Gear

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I would like to ask those whom have been diving for a while now, how diving has impacted their health. I have only been diving for a year and a half now, I love it so much I am doing this more than surfing. I know that surfing gives me a great work out and keeps me stoked about life. It is a great out let and I think it is both good for my mind and body.

Since you all have been doing this for a while now there must be some sense of how you think it is affecting your body, and I guess I should also include the mind as well. I think that the mind has a great influence on how the body heals, ages, and deals with ailments.

It would be nice to have a conversation and get your take on this subject.

Oh, no question it is good for my mind! I think diving has an antidepressant effect; at least, I know a lot of people who find themselves short-tempered and grumpy if they don't dive, and I know a few spouses who are given to throwing their SO out the door with the instructions not to come back until they have gone diving :)

But I am also a lot stronger today than I was ten years ago, when I got certified. Hauling dive gear has been good for that, and I like to think it's been good for my bone density, too.

Oh, no question it is good for my mind! I think diving has an antidepressant effect; at least, I know a lot of people who find themselves short-tempered and grumpy if they don't dive,

Hmm... sounds more like addiction than antidepressant.

:D

For sure... but also for it's ancillary benefits. Particularly if I'm looking to dive in more challenging environments or do more "advanced" diving then I need to stay in shape. Lot's of swimming, cardio, flexibility and resistance training. Staying well hydrated, eating well, and of course the mental/spiritual components like meditation and deep breathing etc.. I think diving has helped me to practice and bring all these various components together in a more focused way.

Diving's definitely been good for my mental health ... nothing relieves stress like coming home from work in the afternoon and heading down to the local mudhole for an hour of underwater therapy. And it's also been good for my physical health, but in an indirect way. What it's done is motivate me to get my body in better shape so that I can keep diving. I've reached that point in life where there are things I can't physically do anymore that I used to do routinely. I'm 63 years old, and I want to keep diving actively well into my 70's. That means eating more sensibly, spending time at the gym regularly, and generally taking care of my body in ways that will allow me to continue carrying the gear to and from the water. That's effort and sacrifice ... and diving gives me the motivation to make that happen ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Reactions: mdb
It's a physical, outdoor activity (the physical exertion part is well covered in carrying gear :) At 50+ it's also a good influence because I want to keep in shape in order to continue diving for decades to come. My diving friends also like to play underwater rugby and wow, besides being incredibly fun that is really a cardio workout.

But possibly most of all diving has been good for me in that it has significantly extended my circle of good, close friends. I'm a bit of a loner, bookworn, very happy by myself (not too lonely with a husband & kids, but still). For 40+ years I usually had 1-2 close friends, now I have about 5 close friends and more than 12 very good friends with whom I probably spent more than 20-30 hours with every year. Never saw that coming!

for sure on mental health. diving is therapy for my PTSD. I go diving and I don't punch people in the throat :)

as for physical, I feel good so i'll go with that too. My gym workouts are oriented to dive training. diving gives me more of a reason to go to the gym!

+1 for mental health, -1 for physical health... diving is the opposite of good cardio, and it eats into the time I used to dedicate to the latter. Doing both is not impossible, just takes more deliberate mental effort to force oneself... or maybe I should just pick sites that require a really long surface swim...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom