Doc's Pro Plugs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thomasj1107

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi, I have posted about past ear issues before and I was suggested to use docs proplugs by someone. My question is with the vented proplugs, is it just as easy or easier to equalize with them as opposed to without? They say the water does not go into the ear until past 20 ft, so before the 20 ft mark are you still equalizing, or not at all? If the plug falls out during a dive, what immediate impact does that have on ear pressure/equalization? Thank you so much for the help any other insight would be greatly appreciated as well.

I have been using them for about 2 years, love them, and have not noticed any difference in equalizing at all.
I forget they are in as soon as my hood goes on, doubt mine would fall out because of the hood.

Really don't think they would cause an issue.
YMMV.

I've used them for years, either in the pool or if rarely in the tropics without a hood on. Water can go in your ears anytime. The worst time for me is if I turn too much while donning fins in 4' of water, also if I flip around too fast while diving. The hood and plugs don't go well together (for me, the hood messes up the plugs stayng in and I gain nothing since the hood does the same job). I think each does the same generally good job keeping water from going very FAR into the ears. I still about 50% of the time need eardrops after diving. I feel there is no difference in the ability to equalise. Some say the plugs actually make it easier, but I can't follow the science in that, since it would seem easiest with your ears completely open. I've never had equalising problems, so I'm not the best judge on that.

You're equalising all the time. The closer to the surface the greater the pressure change, so the more frequently you have to equalize going down. Coming up it happens naturally unless you have congestion of one kind or another. I don't know what is meant by water not going in the ears until below 20'. Water gets in swimmers' ears at the surface, thus "swimmer's ear' (otitis externa--I just like saying that). Plugs falling out during a dive should make no difference except you'd (I'd, anyway) be more likely to get water in deep and need eardrops.

If water does get into your ears how does the plug keep it from going deep (relative term since the average ear canal is about 1" long)? I would think any part of the canal can start the infection couldn't it? I'm having trouble understanding the science behind this.

My best trick to avoid otitis externa is to use a blow dryer on cool setting and waft air in to the ear until it's dry after you're through for the day. Brief exposure to water shouldn't be much of a problem. Prolonged pooling of water in the canal would be more of a problem I would think.

DAN seems to present many views on the plugs, some in total disagreement with others. I can only speak from my experience in that at least half the time I dive I need no ear drops afterwords, as there is no water "sloshing" around in there. Almost always get water that I can notice in there when body surfing the waves (something I do quite a bit less and less at age 61 today). If I don't jerk my head strangely or quickly diving I will usually not need ear drops afterwords to extinguish the sloshing. When I am flopping around in a motel pool and occasionally jumping in or going under to the bottom, etc., I have learned it's best to plug my ears with my fingers (I won't be deep enough to experience pressure pain). I would imagine others may have different situations due to ear structure. A point backing that is it's almost always just my left ear that gets "sloshing" water in it, almost never the right one, and I bend both ways to don my fins in the water.

My husband handed me his computer upon seeing your question. I have used Doc's Pro plugs for many years. I am on my third set because I wore one set out and lost one set. I feel no difference in equalizing and still take care to equalize very often upon descents. I have the vented kind and I think water gets in immediately. However, I equate what they do to having a wetsuit for your ears. They prevent water from flushing through the ear constantly and the water that stays next to the ear muscles remains warmer. That keeps my inner ear muscles more relaxed and able to equalize more easily and for longer periods of time before the muscles cramp up.

I have had them fall out underwater but don't know the difference until my inner ear begins to get cooler than normal.

I hope the information helps. I believe in the wholeheartedly and use them every time I dive no matter how warm or cold the water is!

I also now use vented earplugs every time, both Docs Pro plugs and the JBLs. I've discovered that cold bubbles & cold water blowing past my ears disturb my thermally sensitive tympanic membranes causing vertigo...that sux underwater. I always wear a hood to keep them from losing them, and of course keep an extra set in my dive bag.

Last edited:
I have used them for many years. I find it easier to equalize with them. I don't know why they work for me but as long as they do I'm not sure I care why.

Sound advice above - I don't use plugs but many divers do and they will not stop you from equalising. The reason for this is that they are not completely closed, and so therefore do not create a "blockage" in the ear. Secondary to that is that they won't completely prevent water from entering the outer ear, however they will minimise it somewhat. If you're particularly prone to infection then they are a good idea, however they will do nothing to prevent, nor negate the effects of, middle-ear "squeeze"

Hope that helps,

C.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom