Is this equalizing or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thomasj1107

Contributor
Reaction score
Ive posted about trying to figure out equalizing before jumping in to scuba diving because of bad ears in the past... When I am just swallowing like saliva or food on a daily basis and my ears pop, is that the same as "equalizing? Or is that something different?

It sounds like it, some can equalize simply by swallowing or moving their jaw around. Personally, I'm not one of those lucky ones.

It is a different feeling then when I hold ears and exhale and swallow, but I want to know if I am actually doing something that translates to diving and is a good sign, or if that is nothing...

I think the answer is yes. You can equalise (ear pop) for no reason at any time. I call it a "click". You get that when you yawn as well. Whatever you have to do to get the click, that's probably the best equalising method for you.

As far as I understand, it goes like this: There is some oxygen in the air in the middle ear. That oxygen is slowly being consumed, and so the pressure drops slightly. This leads to underpressure which requires pressure equalizations (several times) daily. Sometimes I notice these, sometimes I dont. Nothing to do with diving. The same procedure works while diving, too. It's just more frequent and violent when descending :D

As has been remarked upon above - there are different techniques to aid equalisation. And if you are able to do it at the surface pre-dive then this is a reasonably good indicator that you won't have problems underwater; I get pretty much all my novice divers / DSDs to try it during the briefing to see if I can expect problems in the water. It is not guaranteed to provide 100% accurate information, however, as some people will have no problem at the surface but have difficulty in the water - and vice versa. It's a good guess though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom