Weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lateralus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Is there a sticky or forum post that is recommended for weights. I always seem to be overweighted or underweighted. My scuba buds say I look like I'm riding a bike sometimes (Too many weights).

unfortunately there is no way to recommend a weighting strategy in a sticky. There are no formulas to work with, only one is how to change salt to freshwater weighting and vice versa, only trial and error. Lots of posts on how to go about that trial and error. Your best bet is to find a mentor in your area, preferably of the tech diving variety who will be able to really get you squared away on your weighting.

Is there a sticky or forum post that is recommended for weights. I always seem to be overweighted or underweighted. My scuba buds say I look like I'm riding a bike sometimes (Too many weights).

Your ability to trim out underwater has nothing to do with being overweighted. If you overweight an experienced diver they will still be able to hold proper form underwater, using their BC to find neutral buoyancy.

Your ability to trim out underwater has nothing to do with being overweighted.

Can't agree (entirely). Being over weighted CAN really effect one's ability to trim out -- but in all likelihood, the biggest issue is WHERE the weight is placed. With the prevalence of integrated weight systems in BCDs, it can be very difficult to trim out properly, particularly if over weighted even for a very experienced diver.

How to do a proper buoyancy test should be covered in your OW training (Buoyancy Check At Surface).
Weighting calculators as the one posted above is VERY rough estimates, for giggles I tried it out, and it gave me 15kg (34lbs) which is ridiculous.

What did you use for parameters and how far off is ridiculous?
I use it and it is about 4 lbs heavy - 7 mill wet suit, salt water, AL80... gets me in the ballpark.

Nevermind - I just did the same with a 3 mill suit and it gave me 17lbs... I dove with 8 lbs in Fl a month ago... oops...

Last edited:
Nevermind - I just did the same with a 3 mill suit and it gave me 17lbs... I dove with 8 lbs in Fl a month ago... oops...

Hehehe. You misunderguesstimate your experience level. I get 15lbs in skin as novice, 13lbs in advanced/proficient, and 12 as expert. I dove with 9 in 2/1 shorty on Bonaire in April, I gotta be at "I am death incarnate" or something.

In my classes I usually start with. Fresh water. Cold water using 7mm full suit or farmer johns and vest. Hood and gloves.

Formula. 10% of the divers body weight +3 pounds. Been using this formula for 19 years. Again... This is just a starting point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it says I need 14lbs as an "Expert" diver, with a single HP100 in a 5mm for fresh water. I don't wear any weight for that configuration, but total ballast
Tank 1.3 with valve, Regulator 2, cam bands 2. Misc crap, 2.

so about half that....

Back
Top Bottom