Regulator Washing / Concerns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dpspaceman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm pretty diligence about washing all of our gear (wife and I). After every dive, I do a full 1-2 hour wash session of all the gear in fresh water at home.

This post is with respect to the regulators. Generally speaking, I take off the regulator on the boat, blow air from tank on dust cap to take water off. My concern is that I don't think it's ever 100% cleared? Am I being paranoid? Also, when the seas are a bit rough – sometimes you’ll get a splash on the regulator while I’m taking it off and I’d imagine some sprays of salt water might make its way slightly inside the first stage.

I am aware that when you notice ‘greenish’ build-up on the reg, then you know it is contaminated. These regs (Aqualung Titans) are relatively new <1 year old and have 40 dives max on them. Am I being overly concerned for no reason?

If I was to take nitrox and say some contaminants made their way inside the first stage, would I be at risk of all the terrible things you read about?

I advise all my students to not use the tank air to dry the dust cap. Use a t shirt, towel, etc. There is a miniscule risk of blowing water into the filter. More importantly it's annoying and unnecessary. Drying with a cloth is more effective and less offensive to the ears of others. If you drape the cloth over the reg as you take it off you also don't have to worry about the spray.
As for the nitrox question, No. You're not using Nitrox above 40% at the recreational level. Higher O2 may speed up a corrosion issue but at less than 40% you're not going to get a fire or explosion.

You're fine, carry on.

Am I being overly concerned for no reason?

dpspaceman,

As you remove your reg from the tank valve, make sure you hold the reg's HP orifice downward, using your hand/fingers to shield it from any spray the boat might be kicking up.

Hold the reg *behind* the valve as much as possible (with your hand/fingers still shielding) as you open the valve to blow water from the reg's dust cap which you'll place in front of the tank valve. It doesn't take much air to dry the dust cap. There is no need to turn the tank valve on very much at all--in fact, turning on the tank valve too much is probably counterproductive--nor for very long at all, as you're blow-drying the dust cap.

Don't let water drip back onto the dust cap as you place it on the regulator (still pointed downward). Tighten the yolk screw, um, I mean yoke screw, and you're good to go.

Keep in mind, it's best to put the reg back on a tank and keep it pressurized while you're actually washing it (1st stage, 2nd stage, SPG, hoses, etc.) with liberal amounts of flowing fresh water, actively working the fittings and buttons, flooding all orifices, running your hands/fingers over everything. Hang to dry in well-ventilated, clean, dry place away from salt air/water and away from direct sunlight. Try to wash it before salt water dries on it (and salt crystals form).

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

Rather than removing the reg from the tank, just loosen the yoke connection and then turn the tank back on a bit. The air pressure will blow the water away from the face of the reg. After the worst is blown away, is then use the leaking air to dry the protective cap before I disconnect the reg and cover it. The noise may be a bit annoying but it is effective as any water can only be blown away.

After diving I remove the reg from the tank valve and dry both first stage and dust cap with towel as Jim says. I do use tank air to then dry just the dust cap. Then I use the towel on both again, and wash at home. Used reg bought 10 years ago with regular servicing 1-2 years--no problems. Conventional wisdom is rinsing the reg while attached to the tank. I haven't done this and have had no problems. Lucky maybe.

Last edited:
Interesting approach, Awap. Are you more likely to have the O-ring blow out/away using your approach?
Shut it down before looseining the yoke of course. Then loosen the yoke enough that it will move freely. Rarely blows the boring.

Rather than removing the reg from the tank, just loosen the yoke connection and then turn the tank back on a bit. The air pressure will blow the water away from the face of the reg. After the worst is blown away, is then use the leaking air to dry the protective cap before I disconnect the reg and cover it. The noise may be a bit annoying but it is effective as any water can only be blown away.

with respect.....i would not do this. we have been taught this can very likely force water (and salt water is of course worse) into the 1st stage.

it is nice to see that you are taking good care of your gear. many don't. drying the dust cap rather than blowing it is a good idea as mentioned. you could also consider removing the dust cap from the first stage and leaving it in a dry location with your gear on the boat.

another thing i often see is people who submerge the 1st stage in a rinse tank (sometimes with a dust cap on, sometimes not). i recommend rinsing the 1st stage off under a running tap (with dust cap on). never submerge the 1st stage under water unless it is on a tank and pressurized. also remember when rinsing the 2nd stages not to press the purge button. this helps to keep water from getting passed the valve and up the hose into the 1st stage.

finally....have the regs serviced annually at your local dive shop

Back
Top Bottom