Layers under wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dpspaceman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello all!

I recently stopped wearing my 4/3 mm wetsuit in Florida and have been loving the lightness of my 1mm every second. I also recently began wearing these under my 1mm… I am curious if I’m actually causing more heat loss than retention. I’ve tried to do a little searching online, but can’t seem to find any results.

When all hope fails, I come to Scubaboard, and the community has always been very informative. So, are these helping me stay warmer or not?

CLIMATESMART® Men's FlexFit® Legging at Amazon Men’s Clothing store:

I don't think I can provide any measured thermal results but.. I will say I always wear something under a neoprene wetsuit. Usually a dive skin. Mostly because it makes don/doff of a wetusit super easy.

If you like the thin wetsuit you might want to check out a sharkskin or lavacore. Super comfy and nonrestrictive, warmer than a 1mm I'm sure. no layers needed because it's already got layers built in (well.. I do wear shorts under mine usually).

IMHO: No, but they may make you look good!

wetsuits keep you warm via the following principles
- tight seals at arms, legs and neck that prevent continual flow of new cold water getting inside
- a (thickish) insulating layer to keep the cold outside water away from your skin

anything that does not do one of these, does not make you warmer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom