Low hanging of tanks, is this a specific fashion, ignorance, or normal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Texasguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
CCf4JGYW8AEyatO.jpg
Young-men-in-sagging-trou-007.jpg

I have seen on the pics where people wear their tanks low and it seems they act like it should be that way. In the end, the butt of the tank is about where their knees are at. I'd think it would be more challenging to get to the valve. Is that normal or sloppy?

I'd like to see them reach their valve with the tank that low!

It's really hard to tell how low a tank really is when people are gearing up like that. They are standing without possibly having their BCD straps tightened, and gravity is pulling the tanks down. The real issue is where the tank is riding while they are diving.

I think there is ignorance involved and a cockey attitude. If one wishes to have their head act as a tank stop then by all means hike the tank up behind your head. Some folks seem to like wearing their pants under their armpits too, in case they encounter high water.

High tanks and high pants must be the new SCUBer Goober style of fashion😄.

N

Could be these divers do it for weight distribution. I have mine very high due to legs like stone & negatively buoyant fins. I have never hit my head on the tank valve, and that's a thing I would probably wind up doing (knowing me) after 500 dives. Or could be they just don't know. I haven't seen this much that I can recall. In the 2nd photo (previous post) the guy doesn't have MOF, so he HAS to know what he's doing.

We have noticed some of this too and it always seems to be on BCD's with single tank cam bands, to an extreme that we were concerned they may lose the tank before they could get into the water.

Wasn't there a photo in a dive magazine some time ago that highlighted this?

Could be these divers do it for weight distribution. I have mine very high due to legs like stone & negatively buoyant fins. I have never hit my head on the tank valve, and that's a thing I would probably wind up doing (knowing me) after 500 dives. Or could be they just don't know. I haven't seen this much that I can recall. In the 2nd photo (previous post) the guy doesn't have MOF, so he HAS to know what he's doing.
Sure about that? He's got a suicide clip on his gauges.

While it appears low, it works once in the water. Typically slung that low to avoid the back of your head hitting the valve/reg 1st stage while diving. And, NO, it is not the same as wearing jeans at your knees...

^^^^Yes, exactly that. And getting to the valve is no problem because you just push up on the bottom of the tank with one hand while reaching back to the valve over your shoulder with the other.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom