Securing Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverDean59

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
When making your own equipment retainers with snap hooks and zip ties, what metal is used to hold up in salt water?

There are stainless bolt-snaps... and there are stainless bolt snaps.

One of these is "marine grade" stainless purchased at a dive shop and had ~500 dives over six years at the time of the photo, and the other is "marine grade" stainless purchased at Home Depot and had 57 dives over two-weeks at the time of the photo. Can you guess which is which?

BoltSnap_1.jpg

Once I bought some from Lowes, boy, 2-3 dives in salt water and they were done. Even in fresh lakes it would have a hard time opening after a few dives. I threw all that crap because it was scary how quickly it got "eaten" away. Even if the bolt is stainless, the spring inside might be not. Therefore, Dive Gear Express, cheapest bolts that continue to preform, I have like 30 of butterfly bolts, once for every toy I have, love them. The difference is that marine bolts continue to slide like they are new, there is no difference in their operation, even if I don't wash them after a salt dive.

Once you'll have to saw through a stuck bolt, you'll never buy non-marine snap bolts ever again.

To properly answer you question, the metal used in marine applications: SAE 316 stainless steel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom