MAKO 890 lumen light VS Underwater Kinetics Light Cannon eLED

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bigeclipse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey all,
This will be my final thread with regard to lights lol. I promise! If you have been following my other threads, I have been looking for a new primary dive light. My current one (technically my moms but she never uses it) is a Princeton tec miniwave 390 lumen light. It was decent for night diving BUT when we went lake diving deep it was not the greatest, especially for video. YES, I know for good video/photo quality you will need to invest in lots of money on specific lighting. That is not what I am after. I am after a primary dive light which will light much better on night/deep dives than the Princeton tec ive been using BUT also "may" aid in better video/pictures. AGAIN, I cannot stress that I do understand that to get really good video/pics you need good equipment. I simply cant afford that right now. Anyways, here are the basic specs of both lights im looking at:

KE Light Cannon eLED - 825 lumen max, ~550 lumen lower setting. 9hr or 15hr burn time depending on setting. Pistol style grip. Large/heavy compared to MAKO.

MAKO 890 lumen light - 890 lumens but uses a 110 degree beam angle with little to no hot spots. Apparently better for video but maybe not ideal for primary light and maybe wont penetrate lake water as well as the KE light cannon. only 1.5 or so hour burn time which is still enough for the dives I do but dang those batteries will get expensive.

If there are other lights I should consider in the less than $175 range let me know.

Read this first - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/lights/504205-dive-light-e-bay-great-buy.html

Second - the Mako is only good for video - I have 2 of them - it is not a primary light.

Thanks. Read that first thread and that light seems promising for a budget friendly light. About 50 bucks for light, batteries and charger. I might go that route and if it doesn't work out, my wallet wont be hurt...lol and I will likely buy a UK light cannon

Hey all,
This will be my final thread with regard to lights lol. I promise! If you have been following my other threads, I have been looking for a new primary dive light. My current one (technically my moms but she never uses it) is a Princeton tec miniwave 390 lumen light. It was decent for night diving BUT when we went lake diving deep it was not the greatest, especially for video. YES, I know for good video/photo quality you will need to invest in lots of money on specific lighting. That is not what I am after. I am after a primary dive light which will light much better on night/deep dives than the Princeton tec ive been using BUT also "may" aid in better video/pictures. AGAIN, I cannot stress that I do understand that to get really good video/pics you need good equipment. I simply cant afford that right now. Anyways, here are the basic specs of both lights im looking at:

KE Light Cannon eLED - 825 lumen max, ~550 lumen lower setting. 9hr or 15hr burn time depending on setting. Pistol style grip. Large/heavy compared to MAKO.

MAKO 890 lumen light - 890 lumens but uses a 110 degree beam angle with little to no hot spots. Apparently better for video but maybe not ideal for primary light and maybe wont penetrate lake water as well as the KE light cannon. only 1.5 or so hour burn time which is still enough for the dives I do but dang those batteries will get expensive.

If there are other lights I should consider in the less than $175 range let me know.

Yeah I like those kind of lights if they are like the archon II except the battery usage, as far as the rechargeable batteries for the archon, they definitely
do not last long at all. Typically will burn out after 30 min. or so. If I have it on the higher setting. They are relatively inexpensive for its capabilities, but it would be nice to have a bit longer burn time.

Last edited:
Since you have a plan go into tech dive, please don't get any of those piston grip light. They can't be reused. Get a 3C, cylindrical shape light with twist on/off. Something like DRIS1000, you can use it as backup if you ever move into tech. Even if not, it is a very good light. Plenty bright, long run time, easy to stow, very tough.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom