Could have dove naked today...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Malpaso

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
... because I hit 100 dives, but with 47*F water I decided on a 7mm instead :D

It's a milestone I never thought I would make. I had anticipated doing a couple dives a year in the warm water on vacation, but right after I got certified I asked to go on a checkout to keep up my skills. That lead to helping out with pool classes, going on most checkouts, and getting invited on recreational dives by the instructors I help out in class. That led to AOW, Nitrox, Dive Medic and Rescue certs. I'll probably get my DM, although only for the education and not as a job.

This place has been an invaluable source of information as well. Thank you all.

Congrats on your 100! I had the joy of running a DM program when a few people hit that mark. Needless to say it was an interesting day on the boat!! : )

Congratulations on #100! Hope to get there in the next year.

... because I hit 100 dives, but with 47*F water I decided on a 7mm instead :D

It's a milestone I never thought I would make. I had anticipated doing a couple dives a year in the warm water on vacation, but right after I got certified I asked to go on a checkout to keep up my skills. That lead to helping out with pool classes, going on most checkouts, and getting invited on recreational dives by the instructors I help out in class. That led to AOW, Nitrox, Dive Medic and Rescue certs. I'll probably get my DM, although only for the education and not as a job.

Congratulations on the milestone. Have you found any interesting CT shore diving?
Question: What do you do when helping out with classes? Do you or instructors have any concerns about you not being an insured certified assistant (DM, etc.)?

You will probably get advice on the DM course in that it doesn't improve your own diving, just teaches you how to lead, and teach (some courses). I think it is good for improving your own "20 pool skills" in that you have to do them to "demonstration" level. Other than that, you can probably buy or find all the academic material in the DM course and save the $500-$1,000 course fee--and improve your own diving by just diving and learning from others. Good luck with your decisions.

Congratulations! Like you, I never figured I'd do that many dives, but I got hooked. This sport has a way of getting to you.

Congrats...ditto for me too; when I first started to dive 100 dives seemed like such an unattainable milestone.

I hit mine while I was in DM School, but no fanfare.

I told my GF when she hits hers on our island I will rent a boat for just to two of us and we can do it naked...

Oh Behave..........

Austin-Powers.jpg

Congratulations on the milestone. Have you found any interesting CT shore diving?
Question: What do you do when helping out with classes? Do you or instructors have any concerns about you not being an insured certified assistant (DM, etc.)?

You will probably get advice on the DM course in that it doesn't improve your own diving, just teaches you how to lead, and teach (some courses). I think it is good for improving your own "20 pool skills" in that you have to do them to "demonstration" level. Other than that, you can probably buy or find all the academic material in the DM course and save the $500-$1,000 course fee--and improve your own diving by just diving and learning from others. Good luck with your decisions.

I've never done a CT shore dive. Almost all of them have been at Cape Ann in MA, with one in Newport, RI.

Helping out in class means anything from loading and unloading tanks, helping students gear up, monitoring the deep end of the pool for safety, demonstrating skills while the instructor narrates and being a buddy when we have an odd number of students. Everything is always done under the direct supervision of a certified and insured instructor. On a checkout it would be towing the flag and monitoring the perimeter of the students as visibility can be very limited here.

I completely understand the "learning" portion of doing the DM class. I have always found that teaching is learning, and it won't be that expensive. My shop really puts the "local" in LDS. We are not one of the major alphabet agencies, and the instructors and helpers pay what the shop pays to the certifying agency for advanced classes. Similarly, our classes are very inexpensive. $449 is all inclusive for OW, and includes all your gear for checkout and a free weekend rental afterwards. We don't charge extra for extra class time. There is currently a student who is having difficulty with one particular skill. One of our instructors has been working with her one on one for the past weeks at no charge to her and no additional pay for him. It's just that kind of shop. For being a helper, I get free air and 10% off gear. The DM, as you said, will help to hone my skills, which is why I go to the pool as often as possible as well.

I've done a couple of spots on C. Ann that were OK. Finding any kind of shore depth in CT is not likely.
It sounds like you are doing the DM job anyway. Anyone else find this situation unusual? With PADI, the instructor's insurance doesn't cover the DM, so we need our own. I assume you've checked into that aspect with your shop.

great work and Congrats on your 100!......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom