Best way to tether camera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

morey000

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I haven't dived with a camera before- but just got a Watershot case for my iphone. It comes with a wrist strap with a secure slider so that it shouldn't come off.

Seems to me, that while handy to have on a wrist while I'm taking photos- it will always be getting in the way when I'm not.

on the other hand, if I tether it from my BC with a long enough leash- it will be dangling, and potentially bumping things.

so- what do most people do with their cameras? Tether to BC and shove in a side pocket?

Tie a boltsnap to it and clip it off on a shoulder d-ring.
Coil tethers/lanyards are available too, and can be used with the boltsnap so when you are not using it it is out of the way, and when you are using it dropping it won't matter.
You DO NOT want a long line floating around you!
Wrist straps are good for almost nothing.

Coil Lanyard with a clip. The ones with the clip allow you to clip it to a chest d-ring and keep it close, unclipping it allows you the full range of the coil. It also provides a little resistance to pull against which helps steady the shot - esp. for video. Many shops sell the Cetacea line.

Coil Lanyards Since you don't have much weight with camera/case, maybe the CRL 05 or 15. I use a modified CRL 11 for my 10 lb. video housing.

I agree with tursiops, cave line tied to bolt snap and clip it off on a D-ring. Works great!

fyi the coiled lanyards do fall apart. I lost a nice light this way in the atlantic. Go with the cave line.

Tie a boltsnap to it and clip it off on a shoulder d-ring.
Coil tethers/lanyards are available too, and can be used with the boltsnap so when you are not using it it is out of the way, and when you are using it dropping it won't matter.
You DO NOT want a long line floating around you!
Wrist straps are good for almost nothing.
doffrent opinion.. wrist strap only.

when i am not using it, it is in my hand, under full control. i would never clip it off as it will flap around unless you secure it with at least 2 connection points. too much clutter and hassle.

hold on to it.

Coil Lanyard with a clip. The ones with the clip allow you to clip it to a chest d-ring and keep it close, unclipping it allows you the full range of the coil. It also provides a little resistance to pull against which helps steady the shot - esp. for video. Many shops sell the Cetacea line.

Coil Lanyards Since you don't have much weight with camera/case, maybe the CRL 05 or 15. I use a modified CRL 11 for my 10 lb. video housing.

I've used a CRL03 for years with my Canon point-and-shoot in a housing. It dangles a little more than I'd like when clipped up, but it's worked perfectly well otherwise.

doffrent opinion.. wrist strap only.

when i am not using it, it is in my hand, under full control. i would never clip it off as it will flap around unless you secure it with at least 2 connection points. too much clutter and hassle.

hold on to it.
LOL. The last time (about 1982) I had a camera (Nikonos) on a wrist strap I needed both hands to do something, and the camera got caught on a mooring line, broke the strap, and is now at 4000m deep on the bottom of the Atlantic. Somewhere near 34 N, 70 W, if you want to look for it. I'd like the pictures, you can keep the camera.

I use a coiled lanyrad with clip to chest D-Ring. Have used the same one since 2006. It is similar to this - http://www.scuba.com/images/Clips/Innovative-Original-Snappy-Coil-Divers-Lanyard-Big-1.jpg. I use this as an example only - I did not buy it from this company. During the dive the camera is always in my hand. I usually only fully clip it short for long swims, ascent and descent. I will dangle a bit though but my camera is far too big for a pocket. Divers I know with small cameras will clip to their D-rings then move to the wrist - I don't know what they use for a tether but it seems to work. I have seen others bang their wrist strapped cameras and GoPros on the ladder exiting the water as they use their hands on the ladder. Just depends on how careful you want to be.

Back
Top Bottom