Are there any wildlife that actually want to harm us?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swimmer_spe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Any time on tv that they show divers in the water with sharks, they have chummed the water.

This makes me wonder, what would happen if this type of activity stopped? What if while diving, sharks and other dangerous animals were able to approach on their own terms, not in a feeding frenzie?

Are there any animals that no matter what we did, if they got near us, they would try to purposely harm us?

attack.jpgI was attacked by this guy at Fish Rock, Australia. 5 inches of pure viciousness.

Only if they read ScubaBoard

some species of triggerfish are seriously aggressive if you accidentally swim too close to their nest. I got attacked by one last week, and was on high triggerfish alert after that.

I've heard about the Trigger Fish and Squid. As well, I have heard that other usually non-aggressive creatures (like sharks and other biggies) may attack if they are injured or elderly and cannot get their usual food, and if they may have a screw loose. I don't like anything that comes anywhere near half my own size.

I think it was a Titan Triggerfish that carries a grudge. Come anywhere near their nest and they'll chase you relentlessly for 250+ feet, in my experience.

Just be thankful those Caribbean Damselfish aren't any bigger. Talk about aggressive!

Back
Top Bottom