Is all regulator service equal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yellowdog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have 3 Aqualung regulators that are do for an annual service, 2 Titan and 1 Mikron. 1 is under warranty, all are functioning normally except for 1 ABS octo which is free flowing. There is not an Aqualung lds within easy driving distance so I will probably send these out for service. So question:
Does it matter where I send my regulators for service or is every Aqualung certified dealer basically equal?

Is there a shop that you tend to gravitate to more over others? One that you "trust" more? Quite a bit goes with how you "jive" with the shop and the service tech. Not all shops are created equal, some service techs are just there for the paycheck, throw some parts into your regs and call it a day. Other technicians approach it as an art form.

A recent thread here implied that a shop was using a Dremel to clean components instead of an ultrasonic cleaner and appropriate detergent. So no, not all shops are equal when it comes to service.

if you're sending it out I'd recommend sending it to somewhere known for regulator repair.... DRiS is an option, they are certainly an Aqualung service center, another a bit closer to you but still would have to ship is Air Tech Scuba Service in Raleigh, this is an independent company that does nothing but scuba repair, and they are very, very good. Few others out there, but I would pay the extra in shipping to send regs out over having them serviced at most dive shops...

The shop that I have a relationship with is not an Aqualung dealer and although they will service Aqualung it seems logical to me to have an authorized dealer perform the service. Especially since 1 set of regs is under warranty. I was looking online and noticed that Diver's Direct is an authorized dealer. I would assume that because of their size they would have an up to date service facility and qualified technicians or is that assuming too much?

I can't speak on Diver's Direct, however we do have an up to date service facility and service quite a few AL reg sets. We're a 2 day ship point from Maryland and if you need them back quick we offer front of line service for a nominal fee. Our repair form can be found here.

authorized dealer doesn't matter, authorized service center matters though they usually go hand in hand. The point is that you need to find a shop that services regularly with guys that do nothing but service regulators on a daily basis for them to be good. I have never been to DRiS's service center, but I would send my regs there. I have been to Air Tech many times and have had my regs serviced there many years ago but I still pop in to say hi every once in a while, but I will say that they are probably the only shop in the country I would recommend anyone to send their Poseidons because I know for a fact that they service them regularly, carry parts all the time, and know what they're doing. Aqualungs are pretty standard, any good tech can tune them in their sleep, just find a good one. If you want to use Divers Direct that's fine, don't know anything about them, but I would choose from one of the two shops I just mentioned and you'll be quite fine.

DRiS is $10/stage cheaper if they were serviced within the last year, $5 cheaper if not than Air Tech so I'd go there based on price alone.

AirTech who houses in Gypsy Divers (LDS) in Raleigh, NC are a good bunch.

I paid them a visit when I was getting my cert with Sherwood Regs. I think they are rated with Aqualung.
You can give them a call and ask:
Home

To answer your question, no. Not all Equipment Services are equal between shops.

I have seen shops that service everything from outboards to regulators on the same bench. They are supposed to equal, but they aren't.

Good thing I don't have a dive shop. Actually I do clean up the place quite well between jobs, and the sawdust from the table saw stays on the other side of the garage, mostly.

Bob
--------------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom