Mixing first stage and second stage regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

abstract

Registered
Reaction score
I am interested in atomic second stage regulators since the intervals are all titanium, but the first stages are not environmentally sealed without a paste. So would it be okay to purchase an apek's first stage and mix the two? This will be my first regulator purchase.

Apeks first stages have an interstage pressure of 9-10 bar. Provided the Atomic second stages are intended to work with that as their supply pressure then yes - no problem.

You'll need to find an Apex and an Atomic dealer to service it. Preferably the same shop.

That's adjustable.

Yes, it is, thank you Captain Obvious. However the reason it is adjustable is so that it can be set to the correct IP, which is 9-10 bar. You can set the IP above or below that but the second stage is unlikely to function correctly with a supply pressure that is too high or two low without further adjustment.

Also, this is the OP's first regulator purchase; I therefore seriously doubt that they have the tools, IP gauge, knowledge and experience to go around tweaking the interstage pressure on the first stage or the lever height on the second stage to get everything functioning correctly. However, it might be useful for them to know why any proposed first and second stage combination may or may not be compatible.

Yes, it is, thank you Captain Obvious. However the reason it is adjustable is so that it can be set to the correct IP, which is 9-10 bar.

The correct IP will vary based on the design of the second stage--thus, while 9-10 bar may be correct for an Apeks second, for an AA second we're talking more in the range of 8.6-10 bar. A truly whopping difference.

To the OP, I've run plenty of AA M1 second stages off of Apeks DS4 1st stages without changing anything. It'll work fine, though you're overthinking the whole 'best reg' combo.

The correct IP will vary based on the design of the second stage--thus, while 9-10 bar may be correct for an Apeks second, for an AA second we're talking more in the range of 8.6-10 bar. A truly whopping difference.

I wonder why I posted this then?

Apeks first stages have an interstage pressure of 9-10 bar. Provided the Atomic second stages are intended to work with that as their supply pressure then yes - no problem.

I wonder why I posted this then?
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted byHickdiveApeks first stages have an interstage pressure of 9-10 bar. Provided the Atomic second stages are intended to work with that as their supply pressure then yes - no problem.

Because its obvious?

Last edited:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted byHickdiveApeks first stages have an interstage pressure of 9-10 bar. Provided the Atomic second stages are intended to work with that as their supply pressure then yes - no problem.

Because its obvious?

No, because it is not immediately obvious that second stages from brand x work correctly with the correctly set interstage pressure from a first stage of brand y.

However, it should be immediately obvious that the interstage pressure on any first stage must be adjustable to achieve the correct operation of that first stage.

Either you are quite thick or you're a troll.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom