New mask - so much fog!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kimmerscuba22

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Said goodbye to a mask I loved and picked up a new Cressi Big Eyes (small face, hard to find a mask that is suitable) and it's silly how much fog I'm still getting. I've used it 15 times, done all the tricks but still no luck. I'm carrying a secondary mask during dives now because after repeatedly clearing, completely removing and eventually changing masks - I need it! Takes away from the diving that's for sure. I'm open to any suggestions or tricks that have worked for you in the past. Please help :D

Last edited:
Toothpaste and lots of elbow grease. I think they are getting worse. Took me an hour on the last one.

done the toothpaste scrub yet? may take a few times. GL

---------- Post added May 28th, 2015 at 10:40 AM ----------

a minute too slow.....

Old fashioned white toothpaste ( not Gel ) Really scrub it inside and out.

Then use a gel type defog like Turtle tears.

Should do it.

Oh wow! Thank you everyone for your replies, I appreciate it. I've done the toothpaste but I now realize I didn't scrub it for long enough if you guys are suggesting 45-60 mins. I'll try that again. I had a friend do the lighter trick but I'm hesitant to do it myself for fear of ruining my mask!

You have two options. Scrub with abrasive toothpaste for a few hours or use a lighter for a few minutes.

I burn all my masks, my wife's mask, my kid's masks, my friends masks, and you will not harm it if you stay clear of the edges. No problems. There's some Youtube video's showing how to do it. Also, I usually have to burn them 3-5 times to get everything off. Burn lense wash and dry. Repeat as necessary untill no black stuff shows up anymore.

I do agree that they seem to be getting worse.

If you use the proper toothpaste - plain ol' white paste as mentioned above - you don't need to scrub for anywhere near an hour (much less "hours" plural) as long as you use the right technique.

With toothpaste you cannot rub TOO HARD. Make sure to really work all portions of the lens. Use your thumb and rub, rub, rub. Also make sure that you have enough paste on your thumb... but not so much that you're not actually rubbing the lens but rather simply moving toothpaste around.

I'll check out Youtube for sure, thank you for you advice!

You have two options. Scrub with abrasive toothpaste for a few hours or use a lighter for a few minutes.

I burn all my masks, my wife's mask, my kid's masks, my friends masks, and you will not harm it if you stay clear of the edges. No problems. There's some Youtube video's showing how to do it. Also, I usually have to burn them 3-5 times to get everything off. Burn lense wash and dry. Repeat as necessary untill no black stuff shows up anymore.

I do agree that they seem to be getting worse.

---------- Post added May 28th, 2015 at 10:45 AM ----------

Thank you for the helpful tips, I'm going to give this another go tonight.

If you use the proper toothpaste - plain ol' white paste as mentioned above - you don't need to scrub for anywhere near an hour (much less "hours" plural) as long as you use the right technique.

With toothpaste you cannot rub TOO HARD. Make sure to really work all portions of the lens. Use your thumb and rub, rub, rub. Also make sure that you have enough paste on your thumb... but not so much that you're not actually rubbing the lens but rather simply moving toothpaste around.

Reactions: RJP
Do also CLEAN the mask with diluted baby shampoo or dish detergent like Dawn before every few dives

A mask fogs when water vapor condenses on the lens; the presence of impurities/imperfections on the surface of the lens makes it FAR easier for that water vapor to condense because it gives the water molecules something to grab onto.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom