Weighted STA vs. V-POUCH vs. CAM BAND weight pouches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yoyoguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
All,
I don't want to make this into an argument on whether I have the right amount of weight or type of tanks...etc. I use a 7mm suit and aluminum 80s (will eventually switch to steel).
So at the moment I need between 20-22lbs weight to sink me with my suit depending on what I bring along. My back plate will take care of 6 of those pounds leaving me with 14-16 lbs of additional weight I will need. I don't mind having a weight belt BUT I really don't like having more than 8lbs or so on the belt itself. I was thinking of going with a weighted STA by oxycheq which will cover an additional 6lbs. There is also the V-pouch found at this website XS Scuba V Weight Pouch discounts on sale XS Scuba. It mounts on your backplate and can hold up to 7lbs. And then there are cam band weight pockets typically allowing 5lbs per pouch. Just trying to find a good solution. Also, I know there is debate on ditchable weight. Personally, I think id want to be able to ditch a few pounds if I absolutely had to so I was also thinking of having the weight belt pouches be ones I could open at depth to remove weight OR have some pouches on my harness that could be opened to remove weight. I was thinking of doing a combo of what is in the title. For example, I would either get the weighted STA or the V-Pouch. This brings my weight needed from 14-16 down to 8-10. I could wear this all on a weight belt but again that would leave me no ditchable weight unless those weights were in pouches. I am open to thoughts. Please don't say buy a steel tank or dry suit as I simply cant afford that at the moment.

A.) Weight on a belt is ditchable... just ditch the whole belt.
B.) A weighted STA is much easier to deal with when swapping tanks

I'd go V-weight+weighted STA, takes care of 12-14lbs, you'll need less weight with the bp/w anyway, so that'll probably take care of it. If you want ditchable, start with the V-weight if you already have an STA, start with weighted STA if you don't, then put the rest on a belt. For ditchable I think you only want to ditch the weight of gas in the tank, with a single AL80, you only want a max of 6lbs to ditch because if you have to ditch a depth you don't want to go ditching most of your weight and not be able to control your ascent.

Drysuit wouldn't be part of this discussion anyway and steel tanks will only knock your weight down by average of 6lbs, max of 8lbs, so that doesn't do anything significant to the discussion.

Reactions: RJP
A.) Weight on a belt is ditchable... just ditch the whole belt.
B.) A weighted STA is much easier to deal with when swapping tanks

Im speaking about ditching a few pounds at depth (for whatever reason if needed). I was trained to never ditch your weight belt unless you are at the surface.

I'd go V-weight+weighted STA, takes care of 12-14lbs, you'll need less weight with the bp/w anyway, so that'll probably take care of it. If you want ditchable, start with the V-weight if you already have an STA, start with weighted STA if you don't, then put the rest on a belt. For ditchable I think you only want to ditch the weight of gas in the tank, with a single AL80, you only want a max of 6lbs to ditch because if you have to ditch a depth you don't want to go ditching most of your weight and not be able to control your ascent.

Drysuit wouldn't be part of this discussion anyway and steel tanks will only knock your weight down by average of 6lbs, max of 8lbs, so that doesn't do anything significant to the discussion.

tbone...when I talk about ditchable weight I am speaking exactly about what you just stated, just removing 4 pounds or so if ever needed...definitely not more to avoid an uncontrolled ascent. From what I read the V-Weight mounts on the backplate right behind your back. If that is the case, how would you take a few pounds out at depth (in an absolute emergency) if you needed to? I have not purchased the STA or the V-weight next. I don't mind carrying 8lbs on my weight belt plus the 6lbs for the backplate would give me 14lbs. this leaves me 6-8lbs needed weight. I could get a regular STA which would weigh 2lbs or so leaving me wil 4-6lbs needed lead which I could carry in some pockets somewhere on my harness? OR I could get The weighted STA which weighs 6lbs, plus my backplate which ways 6lbs yields 12 pounds. This leaves me with 8-10lbs weight needed. I could also purchase the V-weight pouch and put additional weight in that leaving say 4-6lbs on the belt which I could just ditch at depth if needed. Im just confused at what to do. I know ditching weight at depth has been an argument between most but I would prefer if I had 4-6 ditchable pounds somewhere.

OR are you suggesting maybe I buy weighted STA (6lbs) plus backplate (6pounds) plus v-pouch (whatever weight I want). leaving 4-6lbs on the weight belt which now becomes my ditchable weight?

v-weight is fixed, non ditchable. With a single AL80, you shouldn't be that unbalanced that you can't kick it to the surface. In that case you shouldn't need to ditch weight when at the surface. With doubles, heavier steel tanks *a big steel tank can have 12+lbs of gas in it*, etc etc ditchable weight can be an issue, I don't dive with ditchable weight that was planned to ditch. Never have. I don't believe in it, nor do I recommend people ever ditching weight because if you have to, you aren't weighted properly. Most of the guys I know with dive a SS plate, steel tank of some sort, 7mm steamer with a hooded vest, and need no additional weight, myself included on the rare occasion I dive singles, which is basically never. If you are diving without exposure protection, there are tricks to be able to not ditch weight and still be able to float. A wing that holds no air is rare, you can usually pull it off, flip it upside-down, and partially inflate it that way, and various other scenarios if you have an elbow failure.

My suggestion to you would be to get the weighted STA first, preferably with SS cam bands. Then after that do a proper weight check. Make sure the suit is flooded *this sucks in cold water, but is essential*, compensate for gas in the tank, etc etc. Plenty of threads on how to do that. Figure out how much you actually need, then decide how you want to carry it. You're saying you need 20lbs right now. I would not be surprised if your total weight requirements drop by 4lbs with a BP/W, and then you have 12-14lbs taken up by the plate and weighted STA *extra weight is hardware and potential for metal cam bands*, but even at 12lbs, you're only dealing with an 8lb weight belt max. Hold off on the V-weight until you figure out if that is 8lbs, or potentially 4. If it's only 4, just stay with the belt. If it's 8 you have options, but I'd be surprised if it is that much.

v-weight is fixed, non ditchable. With a single AL80, you shouldn't be that unbalanced that you can't kick it to the surface. In that case you shouldn't need to ditch weight when at the surface. With doubles, heavier steel tanks *a big steel tank can have 12+lbs of gas in it*, etc etc ditchable weight can be an issue, I don't dive with ditchable weight that was planned to ditch. Never have. I don't believe in it, nor do I recommend people ever ditching weight because if you have to, you aren't weighted properly. Most of the guys I know with dive a SS plate, steel tank of some sort, 7mm steamer with a hooded vest, and need no additional weight, myself included on the rare occasion I dive singles, which is basically never. If you are diving without exposure protection, there are tricks to be able to not ditch weight and still be able to float. A wing that holds no air is rare, you can usually pull it off, flip it upside-down, and partially inflate it that way, and various other scenarios if you have an elbow failure.

My suggestion to you would be to get the weighted STA first, preferably with SS cam bands. Then after that do a proper weight check. Make sure the suit is flooded *this sucks in cold water, but is essential*, compensate for gas in the tank, etc etc. Plenty of threads on how to do that. Figure out how much you actually need, then decide how you want to carry it. You're saying you need 20lbs right now. I would not be surprised if your total weight requirements drop by 4lbs with a BP/W, and then you have 12-14lbs taken up by the plate and weighted STA *extra weight is hardware and potential for metal cam bands*, but even at 12lbs, you're only dealing with an 8lb weight belt max. Hold off on the V-weight until you figure out if that is 8lbs, or potentially 4. If it's only 4, just stay with the belt. If it's 8 you have options, but I'd be surprised if it is that much.

Tbone...again thanks! Yeah right now the most weight I ever need on a dive is 24lbs with my current BCD if im not carrying anything extra like lights and cameras...etc. I'm figuring I might be able to drop down a couple pounds do to my BCD being inherently buoyant compared to the backplate wing putting me at around 20-22lbs. I will order the weighted STA from caveadventurers.com with my harness im ordering from them. Unfortunately I already have the plastic cambands so until I have money later these are what ill be using. So that means ill have 12lbs between the backplate and weighted STA leaving 8-10lbs for belt maybe less. My only concern would be total wing failure at 100feet. I don't know what it would be like trying to swim up my rig and that was the reason for 4-6 pounds ditchable weight. I'm in decent shape and I think id be ok trying to swim all that up, but I know at 100 feet the compression of my wetsuit would mean I would be trying to swim up 20lbs (at the start of the dive, less if near the end of the dive).

plastic is fine, just an "ideal" scenario. No reason to get new ones.

Get the weighted STA from Edd, then dive with everything on a belt for now. Get your weighting stable, consider putting 2lb weights on bolt snaps and clipping them to the hip d-rings for your first few dives. When you are on your safety stop, preferably in a somewhat confined area, try removing the weights one at a time. If you can hold the safety stop without that weight comfortably, then remove 2lbs from your belt on the next dive. This is obviously best done at a quarry where you can get on a platform with an upline in case the 2lbs wasn't enough and obviously with a buddy, but as you get comfortable you'll likely be able to drop 4-6lbs from where you currently are.

V-weight by definition is the V shape wedge that fit between the double. How will this work on single tank? I don't see that will work unless someone custom melt a piece of lead for the specific plate. I think weighted STA is a simple way to go.

V-weight by definition is the V shape wedge that fit between the double. How will this work on single tank? I don't see that will work unless someone custom melt a piece of lead for the specific plate. I think weighted STA is a simple way to go.

These attach with the bolts from either the STA or the doubles bands and sits in the groove on the diver side of the backplate. Fills with lead shot so it is like a bean bag, molds to the specific plate.

That XS beam bag is really meant for double as well. I have tried. The issue is if you fill the bag full, it bulges quite a bit thicker than most backplate's channel. Your back will feel it. With flatter plate like DiveRite (my first bp), it is very uncomfortable. With deeper plate like HOG and Halcyon, it is doable but I won't recommend. If you fill it half way and thinking it will mold flat on the channel, it doesn't. As you don on land, the lead shot will move to the bottom, it will still be bulging just at the bottom of the bag, still same issue as a full bag.

IMO, the better solution is 1) use weighted STA. It is cleanest and comfort level won't change like with the v-weight bag. If you find you need even more non ditchable weight, attach XS weight pouchs on lower or upper cam bands. This will give you ability to attach another 8-10lb.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom